Springer mounting

Information on forks/springers/shocks
steelhdn
Bikes: 1957 Panhead
1980 Shovelhead
1976 Ironhead

Springer mounting

Post by steelhdn »

I'd like to start off by saying thanks to this board and everyone who contributes knowledge.

I am restoring a 57 panhead with a rigid frame and decided to go with a 28 inch offset springer. Since I have nothing to refer to, I am unsure on how the stem gets locked in above the neck. Basically the order in which the different nuts, spacers, handlebar gets installed on the neck. A picture would literally speak a 1000 words. Many thanks in advance.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Springer mounting

Post by RUBONE »

First things first. If you are putting a springer on the bike you are not "restoring" it. Terminology is important to get correct info. To restore it means to put it back as it originally came. To rebuild it is a different story. But in your case it appears that you are "customizing" it. Nothing at all wrong with that, but it prevents confusion.
As for the fork, if you look in the knowledge base you will find the parts blowup of a springer and attaching hardware. If you want all the pieces to just bolt on you need the stuff that was original equipment hardware, so pre '49 parts. If you want to adapt to Timken bearings there is lots of discussion about that as well.
The knowledge base is your friend, get to know it.
Robbie
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Springer mounting

Post by 1950Panhead »

A picture would literally speak a 1000 words
There is a picture on page 99 of the 41-54 parts catalog.
Order is dampner, handlebar nut, cone lock plate, handlebar, cone nut, upper race.
You will need knuckle or 48 pan cups to use the original loose bearings.
Jerry

Return to “Forks/Shocks”