Lowering pan forks

Information on forks/springers/shocks
pkchop187
Bikes: 1963 pan, 86 sporty, chopped xs650

Lowering pan forks

Post by pkchop187 »

Hey guys, new member here! I searched old treads found nothing. Has anyone lowered a panhead flh frontend? I have done it on sportsters but have not taken the sliders apart yet. I know hey are very different so just wondering ahead of time if it works the same. You know cut top spring, machine a spacer under bottom spring...
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Lowering pan forks

Post by 1950Panhead »

Not a good idea but if you insist you can slide the tubes up until they hit the handlebars.
If you want more you can cut tubes and retap the fill plug.
Jerry
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Panhead forks are shortened all the time. Why folks do it is beyond me since Panheads already suffer too little ground clearance.
The spring and fork tube need to be shortened the same amount to keep the spring tension relationship the same. Stock tubes will need to be re-machined at either the top or bottom. They are threaded on top and have a machined pocket on the bottom for the damper assembly. I believe that "Forking by Frank" offers under length tubes.
Not a good idea but if you insist you can slide the tubes up until they hit the handlebars.
Panhead tubes do not slide through the trees, so this method is an impossibility
pkchop187

Post by pkchop187 »

Thanks Rubone! Thats kinda what i thought. Ive done it on other harleys just not this age fork. I have an extra set of springs so i wont cut the originals and will talk to franks forks to get new uder tubes to i dont mess up the originals!! Thanks!
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

Remember, the bike won't be lowered as much as the tube length reduction because of the rake angle.
The rake angle will be reduced slightly (because the rear didn't change), and the trail as well.
The front exhaust pipe will ground on right turns (and perhaps driveways) if it's not a squash pipe. The primary will ground under the clutch derby on left turns.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

kitabel wrote:Remember, the bike won't be lowered as much as the tube length reduction because of the rake angle.
The rake angle will be reduced slightly (because the rear didn't change), and the trail as well.
The front exhaust pipe will ground on right turns (and perhaps driveways) if it's not a squash pipe. The primary will ground under the clutch derby on left turns.
pkchop187!

The best lowered Pan forks are just tired ones.
COTTON.jpg
....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pkchop187

Post by pkchop187 »

Hey kitabel. Guess i never thought about that. Just changing it up a bit. I gotta 63 pan and thinking about taking the motor, tranny and sticking it a wishbone frame i have. I also have a star hub with a 21 inch wheel i was gonna put on it an just keep my original frame and front wheel left alone .. Just to have a frisco ride for a while. Thought the 21 wheel would raise it up so lowering it back 2 inches for the "frisco" time being.

Return to “Forks/Shocks”