lower leg oil

Information on forks/springers/shocks
emally1
Inactive member
Bikes: 1950 panhead

lower leg oil

Post by emally1 »

i have a 1950 panhead,and the question is,can anyone tell me ,if i have a 50's wide glide front end and the tubes are 8" over stock,,do i still only put the 7 onces of oil in each leg,,and what different types of hydraulic oils can i use other then the one made by harley,,,,thanks eddoe
Schwee
Bikes: 57 Pan, 42 WLA

Re: lower leg oil

Post by Schwee »

The lower legs don't know how long the tubes are, so no difference in the amoung of oil.
That said, I just changed mine last week and put in 7 oz. as the book recommended. Seems to me that last time I did this, I used only 6 oz. each. I see why. On my initial run, an ounce or less oozed up through the seals on each side.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Use the 7 ounces. Any motorcycle specific fork oil will work just fine. Your local MC shops should have a selection to choose from. Be aware of the viscosity you use. The lighter the oil the less damping you will have, the heavier the most. If you don't have any issues use the standard grade, type B which is very light, about 5W. For slower damping use a heavier grade. An alternative is ATF.
Robbie
BudPounder
Inactive member
Bikes: 06 FXDB 04 FLHTCUI 89FLHTCU

Post by BudPounder »

Tubes should be 20 1/4", 7 oz clean and dry, 6 oz if drained and refilled. Forking by Frank has some nice stock legth (20 1/4) replacement tubes.

Return to “Forks/Shocks”