Fork Lowering

Information on forks/springers/shocks
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Fork Lowering

Post by jdpan »

I have an early fxwg front end on my scoot with 2" over tubes and it aint working for me so I'd like to find an easy wasy to lower them to stock or maybe even lower, if that's even possible without buying new tubes. I've heard of having them cut down or shortening the springs, this is an area not of my expertice. Can anyone offer some realisic suggestions?
Lynrd
Bikes: 1949 FL

Re: Fork Lowering

Post by Lynrd »

There are lowering kits that will place an extra spring under the damper tube, along with a shorter, progressive wound long top spring. I thing the 78-82 fork is a bit of an oddball to the aftermarket, but Progressive suspension has a kit for it: 10-1561 . I've used thier stuff on a bunch of different bikes and never been disappointed.
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan »

Hey, thanks for the info LYNRD! That's definately a consideration. That would bring it back to stock length which may or may not be low enough. I was thinking possibly 2" under to drop the front end for better handling, the way it is, its a handfull in the curves.
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

On an FXWG fork, you can use -77 FLH tubes and springs to lower your forks. Remember FXWG trees have a rake angle of 31 1/2 degrees.
VPH-D

Return to “Forks/Shocks”