Sparking Panheads

All ignition related articles
oldman
Inactive member
Bikes: 52 pan

Sparking Panheads

Post by oldman »

Hey, I know this timing/points bull**it be getting boring but I got one moe question for all the panhead experts.
What year did Harley switch over from 6v to 12v electrics? I want to run a dual point breaker (60-64) and use a dual coil 12v setup. Maybe I'm crazy but I've been called worse.

Thanks in advance,
"Oldman" Ed
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Re: Sparking Panheads

Post by VintageTwin »

The 12V switch came in 1965 with the Electra-Glide. The dual points began in 1961 and switched back to single points in 1965...you gotta love that Palmer book. Where would we be without it?
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I believe Palmer also explains that the first production 12v HDs were '64 Servicars.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Ratz! That beetle-little Servi-Car...just when I had a few people believing, that I knew what I was talking about....drat that little tryke. Reminds me of '64 Bob's, '61 (black & white) Servi-Car...he was always complaining how slow that four-five motor was..."Couldn't pull a sick sleeper off a pee-pot", he would lament. He'd send the Servi-Car up to a shop in Chico, and they'd work on it, but it always came back and would run the same way. Bob has a head that's a size "large". Not noticeable, except when he tried to wear his white-billed Harley hat. He said, "the white bill made his head look really large". He'd bring the hat out of the closet and put it on, about once a year, and then stand in front of a mirror hoping that something had changed...but the "look" would always be the same...big head. One day, he came over on his (b&w) trike. He was wearing the Harley hat (I guess because, he had never tried wearing it around me)... We have a huge driveway apron and he putt-putted around me in a circle... too embarassed to even stop. When he pulled in the driveway, the only words that would come to my mind were "Lysergic...and Bobblehead"....but the words that came forth were..."Hey! You got any ice cream in that box?"
haggis
Bikes: *

Post by haggis »

Hi oldman,
thanks for the reply on the 12volt coil issue.
The basket pan motor that i just had rebuilt, came with dual points ...so I guess we'll be in the same boat when it comes to hooking these puppys up.
any ideas on the best dual coils available, also would they mount on the seat post like the 6 volt.....or do I have to get the welder out again!...thanks Haggis.
oldman
Inactive member
Bikes: 52 pan

Post by oldman »

I heard it is possible to connect the two leads of the dual point breaker together and run with a later model shovel type points coil. I have not ried it yet but I will soon. Right now I have to get my generator working.

Oldman

Return to “Ignition”