Mallory condensor, Panhead dist

All ignition related articles
4pans1man
Bikes: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Mallory condensor, Panhead dist

Post by 4pans1man »

I posted 2 photo's of a Panhead distributor I bought. (misc photo's) What's with the external Mallory condensor?

Thanks, Tony.

old1955
Bikes: 55FLE, 65FL

Re: Mallory condensor, Panhead dist

Post by old1955 »

G'day Tony,

Well I reckon it could be just for suppression , otherwise the breaker, can, make noise (interference ) on a radio or TV.
But I remember that somewhere I read that there should be two types of condensers used. One for highway and one other
type for cruzen round town. But you need to switch between the two. I have see that setup before, but on magnetos, and the mallory condenser
was the recommended unit.

Mike will know (Flthd6), its wired in, is'nt ? What too?

Pete

Merry Xmas!
RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW »

A condenser (capacitor) that size makes me wonder if a previous owner was using this to start the bike in a no-battery application.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

BOTH RUSS &OL55--are right-- IT does help with starting especialy with an older type magneto!---NOW I have not installed 1 yet but i think MORRIS makes a mag called a G5,- this has great feedback & i checked into the innards exploded view (just curious). This G5 you dont have to kick your self out of breath or pushstart!. You actually kick it easy as it has a auto retard set-up spring in it!. So if you ROMP on it it wont start because the fast-spin actually advances it--So as soon as motor fires shes good to go!--$$$$1400.00--keep it, but thats me!-Hell I have no trouble making the ol-boys fire with kicking. But truely a nice piece of engieering/WHY soooo long?---just my 2----58flh 8)

Return to “Ignition”