63 pan ignition problem?

All ignition related articles
Garyson1311
Bikes: 1963 Pan FLH

63 pan ignition problem?

Post by Garyson1311 »

Hey guys so I got the bike all together, hooked up a brand new 6v battery, turned the key with hopes of pulling out that kickarm of trying to start it for the first time in forever, and BOOM! Nothing happened..... That battery has juice and I have made sure the connections are tight to the battery and ground. Also, it has a 30a fuse that is in line with the positive battery cable and that is good as well... Im not sure what to do next?? I got no lights, no horn, no nothing, its as if the battery isnt even connected... Also, This may be a dumb question but since its a kickstart, can it be started without the battery? (I will resolve this electrical problem regardless, but I am wanting to know if I can at least start it if possible)

Thanks
Gary
cdndewey
Bikes: 42 WLC, 47 EL, 53 FLE, 62 FL, 78 FLH

Re: 63 pan ignition problem?

Post by cdndewey »

Gary..what do you have for an ignition switch, aftermarket or genuine? It could be a bad switch. Did you rewire it or did you just do the engine? Do you still have the dual point set-up? It won't start without a battery but you could put a jumper from the coil/coils to the battery and try starting it if you just want to check it and get it to run, then you can go and diagnose the electrical problem.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

You have to turn the switch on, the key just unlocks the switch.
Switch on, gen and oil lights should be on.
If not, check battery ground wire. Battery hot wire goes to terminal box behind coil, red wire goes to switch, black wire comes back to terminal box, another black wire goes to coil. No gen/oil light, check terminal connections, switch connections, wires.
Jerry
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

Put yer circuit breaker on the negative side of the battery....bosheff

Return to “Ignition”