Panhead Points...Help

All ignition related articles
1hdrider
Bikes: 1960 pan

Panhead Points...Help

Post by 1hdrider »

hello...back in the day (70`s)...I use to run points on my pan that had the alen screw dwell adjustment & the felt pad for the distributor cam & the condenser was not part of the points as a single unit...these points went right on with out ANY modification & were made much better made than the standard HD pan points or after market ones...& with the external adjustment you could dial the motor in real sweet...I think they came off of an old chevy application but I cant remember...do you know what these points came off of (year, make, model, engine size) ???...I'm getting ready to put my pan on the road & want to start using these points again but I cant find the right ones...something on every set I try doesn't fit...either the post hole is a hair too small or there is a slight difference in the configuration & so far no one I`ve talked to seems to know "exactly" what they came off of...thanks for the help !!!
radarv
Bikes: 1949 FL,2005 FLSTSC

Re: Panhead Points...Help

Post by radarv »

hdrider, have you checked your local napa store? I remember the point set your talking about,I think they were blue streak brand. they were the same as mid 70s GM as I recall. I would take your used set in to them & see what they can match up for fitment perposes. just a thought. sorry I cant be of more help. radar
1hdrider

Post by 1hdrider »

thanks radar...yea I've done that at NAPA...always get close but no cigar & after i have the counter guy bring me over a half a dozen sets back & forth off the shelf that wont work, it gets to be a pain especially when there's other customers. never thought ide have such a hard time finding them again knowing that i'm not the only guy thats used them...thanks man
lownslow
Bikes: 1941 FL
1970 XLH
1974 Moto Guzzi

Post by lownslow »

I know the ones you're talking about. I had a '63 Chevy truck with 350 engine yanked from a 1971 corvette, so you're right it is a GM product. Try that, and see where you end up. I, like many others, ended up switching that distributor over to an electronic ignition. A thread on the hotrodders forum that clearly has no end............ :roll: a
1hdrider

Post by 1hdrider »

yea...GM product...not that others didnt use them...this is turning into a mission from h*ll...but im still workin on it...thanks Low
2Hacks
Inactive member
Bikes: '08 Ultra w/Sidecar

Post by 2Hacks »

I remember those with the allen screw dwell adjustment. If memory serves me correct, they were Mallory and I had them on a Chevy 327.
Schwee
Bikes: 57 Pan, 42 WLA

Post by Schwee »

NAPA CS779A
1hdrider

Post by 1hdrider »

yea thanks Schwee...ive used those...there a better grade than the HD points..." BUT"...they dont have the allen screw adjustment....thanks man
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Folks,

The points gap adjusting screw was always a "blade" style, and it is captured upon the points cap with a rivited end.
The screw does not come with the points.

It would have had to be replaced to be an allen.

The felt wiper points that I encounter are for magnetos.

You won't find the word "dwell" in the Service Manual, as the dwell for each cylinder is determined by the points cam. You would have to grind the cam to change the dwell.

And you won't find the word "distributor" in the Service Manual or Parts Book anywhere, either.
Harley did not use one!

...Cotten
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Cotten wrote:Folks,

The points gap adjusting screw was always a "blade" style, and it is captured upon the points cap with a rivited end.
The screw does not come with the points.

It would have had to be replaced to be an allen.

The felt wiper points that I encounter are for magnetos.

You won't find the word "dwell" in the Service Manual, as the dwell for each cylinder is determined by the points cam. You would have to grind the cam to change the dwell.

And you won't find the word "distributor" in the Service Manual or Parts Book anywhere, either.
Harley did not use one!

...Cotten
Could the breaker be considered a "distributor" if it supplied "single fire" operation?..Just wonderin"...Mike
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Panacea wrote:Could the breaker be considered a "distributor" if it supplied "single fire" operation?..Just wonderin"...Mike
Mike!

Although the dual-points timers effectively "distributed" the spark to separate cylinders, it still lacked the rotor and cap that denote a true distributor, such as Indian's Autolite assemblies.
Instead, they were just a double'd-up simple circuit breaker.

Frankly, Harley had the better system for the simple reason that it eliminates un-necessary and expensive consumeable hardware.

Calling it a "distributor" degrades its true glory.
But that's what it is listed under in the V-TWIN catalog, of course.

....Cotten
windweaver
Bikes: 49 HD

Post by windweaver »

the ones with the allen head adjustment were for a v8 that had a door on the distributor cap. the ones for a 6 are the ones that fit a pan and i don't think they ever had the adjustment door. they are different lengths. ww
Panshovevo
Inactive member
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG

Post by Panshovevo »

windweaver wrote:the ones with the allen head adjustment were for a v8 that had a door on the distributor cap. the ones for a 6 are the ones that fit a pan and i don't think they ever had the adjustment door. they are different lengths. ww
This is my recollection as well. It's possible that an aftermarket company made a similar setup for the 6 cylinder, but I never encountered it.

Regards,
John
duoglide58

Post by duoglide58 »

I agree it was a 6 cyl 60's Chevy application that fit. Here are some part numbers that I have used over the years.
Wells D21077MOV
Wells DR1077
Sorensen DR69
Blue Streak DR 2240X (cycle listing)

Condenser:
Zenith 3-205
Standard DR 90
OEM D203
Wells U515
V Forge CN74
Sorensn DRC8
Borg Warner G126
Blue Streak DR90X (cycle listing)
Doug
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

If there is such a set of points that are being described that drop in a stock HD timer I'll be damned if I have ever encountered them. Years and years ago I went on a wild goose chase lookin for em cause I heard they existed, but I couldn't turn a set to save my life. The GM set mentioned will not work in stock form....bosheff

Return to “Ignition”