Distributor & Coil

All ignition related articles
wayne-o
Inactive member
Bikes: 1964 pan, 1970 honda 100cc, yamaha wr 250f

Distributor & Coil

Post by wayne-o »

I have to put a new distributor in cause my other broke a gear inside my case. Damn it.. So I am looking at a mallory The mfg # is a556 W/ a new Accel coil 3ohm. any thoughts? Do I need a single or dual fire coil? and has anyone heard of axiom cycles? Or where is the cheapest place to purchase these items? All this is going in a 64 pan. thanks
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Re: Distributor & Coil

Post by panhead_kicker »

wayne-o wrote:I have to put a new distributor in cause my other broke a gear inside my case. Damn it.. So I am looking at a mallory The mfg # is a556 W/ a new Accel coil 3ohm. any thoughts? Do I need a single or dual fire coil? and has anyone heard of axiom cycles? Or where is the cheapest place to purchase these items? All this is going in a 64 pan. thanks
Have you figured out why the gear broke? I'd make sure the underlying problem is corrected first. 64 originally had a dual point breaker. What voltage are you running? Voltage and the breaker you put back in will determine the type coil(s) needed.
wayne-o
Inactive member
Bikes: 1964 pan, 1970 honda 100cc, yamaha wr 250f

Post by wayne-o »

My dis was old and used it locked up and spun with the motor while running. I took the timing cover off and inspected everything inside and everything turned and no damage to any other gears or cam. I am running 12 volt and the old dis was a single point auto advance if i dont get the electronic ign I will convert my old dual point dis to 12 volt but i would really like the electronic
panmarkski
Bikes: 1979 XLS
2007FLHX
1961 FLH

Post by panmarkski »

Had a A556 installed on my 61FLH it ran fine. It's a dual fire system,matter of fact I'm doing a restoration on the pan so I've got the Mallory up for auction on Ebay, but I think it was a good ignition. Mark

Return to “Ignition”