FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Static Timing Lamp question

Post by panhead_kicker »

I checked my timing with a lamp per the service manual, and found that the lamp only dimmed when the points opened.
I disconnected the timer wire from the coil and the lamp went out when the points opened, but the service manual does not have you disconnect the timer. Does this sound like a problem?
Should the battery positive terminal be disconnected from the harness when performing this test?
Motorcyclemike
Bikes: Knucklehead and a Triumph

Re: Static Timing Lamp question

Post by Motorcyclemike »

Ok............when the points "opened"......then the light should Lite UP......if its a 12 volt lite its will be Dim IF are you checking a 6 volt system !
Most test lights are 12 volts now days.....unless its home made with a 6 volt single contact lamp !

When the points Opened.....then they are Not Passing current no more and with the lite across the points.....it Lites UP as you have opened the circuit !

And when you disconnected the coil wire........you lost the path to getting the voltage to the points and lighting the lamp UP !

MCM
Motorcyclemike

Post by Motorcyclemike »

[quote="Motorcyclemike"]Ok............when the points "opened"......then the light should Lite UP......if its a 12 volt lite its will be Dim IF are you checking a 6 volt system !
Most test lights are 12 volts now days.....unless its home made with a 6 volt single contact lamp !

Be sure to set point gap.......then proceed with setting the timing !
Use the narrow lobe on the cam to set point gap.
And have the timing FULLY ADVANCED to set or check timing !

When the points Open.....then they are Not Passing current no more and with the lite across the points.....it Lites UP as you have opened the circuit !

And when you disconnected the coil wire........you lost the path to getting the voltage to the points and lighting the lamp UP !

When the lite......Lites UP......thats when its making a ~Spark~ at the plugs..... so have the timing Mark Lined up to where its supposed to be in the Timing
hole at that proper time.

Points Open.......its making Fire at the both spark plugs thats a Duel Fire System !
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

Good points Mike. I have a 12v system and singe point setup right now, and was using a 12v lamp. I was following the 59-69 service manual instructions for using a test lamp, which have you connect the lamp to the positive terminal of the battery and to the coil/timer terminal. You must be using a bit different method so that the lamp operation is inverted to what the manual describes.
Motorcyclemike

Post by Motorcyclemike »

I have made me up a extra small timing light......i soldered the wires to the both places on a small 12volt bulb and then only used about 5 inches of wire that is connected to 2 aligator clips.......i clip one to the over head fins on the front clylinder and the other to the nut where the condenser connects to the points.....its so easy to see the "bulb lite" too.....i carry that timing light with me.....just in case i might have to adjust the timing out on the road some where.

Good Luck and let Us all know how it go's

If by chance i have missesd something here......Please feel free to add it.
Mike
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift »

Dear Panhead kicker,
If you disconnect the wire at the coil the light will go all the way off when the points open.

Its perfect when it flickers,
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

Thanks Mike and Shifty for confirming things. I guess I ought to make a little side note in my manual to disconnect the timer wire from the coil.
My timing was off by a tooth. Normally I just eyeball to static time, and get all the marks lined up. I did the lamp test this time and found that I had run out of timer stud adjustment to be just right on the lamp. So I pulled the timer and restabbed a couple of time until I got it right. I didn't remember pulling the timer within the last year to get it messed up to begin with. But then again I've forgotten worse things.
Mucho better-o... now to get the M74B straightened out...

Return to “Ignition”