Which Electronic ingnition on Pan?

All ignition related articles
Henrik_K
Inactive member
Bikes: FL '56
XLH '65

Which Electronic ingnition on Pan?

Post by Henrik_K »

On my Ironhead i've got a Mallory ignition. Is this the "best/optimal" - for a Panhead?

Thanks
mr. z
Bikes: Franken pan, '49 frame, '50 FL transmission, S&S cases,cylinders, '46 knuck forks, assigned VIN

Re: Which Electronic ingnition on Pan?

Post by mr. z »

I may get violent disagreement on this,but I think the Mallory timer is the best electronic unit bar none, for the generator type, upright timer(non nosecone) motor out there.

Once dialed in,very easy to start, and reliable as can be, but the key is to dial these in properly, cuz they are a little iffy to get going, right outta the box, but when you do, its smooth sailing.

And if you are worried about being stranded, Mallerry has a low-cost version of the module(will post part# later if desired) that you can carry, but after several years, I've never needed to plug in my spare yet.
TimmyV
Bikes: 1961 FLH
2017 FLHTKL

Post by TimmyV »

I have an aftermarket auto advance circuit breaker on my '61 Pan & use the Quick Start 2000 ignition.
http://www.ebeyond2000.net/quickstart.html

Simple to set up & appears to be fairly bullet-proof.
Frankenstein
Bikes: 37ULH,46UL,47EL(80"),65FL,61KH-WL-BSA hybrid,56square4,several 50's BSA 500 singles

Post by Frankenstein »

Thanks for the answers, I've been researching this myself for awhile. I've been giving the Accel/Mallory unit a hard look. Couple of questions, did you hook up the VOCES switch? Are you using it with kick start? (I presume yes). I'm contemplating using one on Frankenstein, which has pinging problems under load at moderate rpms. Thinking the VOCES switch should help.
Also, with the flathead, I'd only need about 30-32 degrees advance max, will the unit allow you to adjust to those specs?
Thanks,
DD
mr. z
Bikes: Franken pan, '49 frame, '50 FL transmission, S&S cases,cylinders, '46 knuck forks, assigned VIN

Post by mr. z »

yep, its a kick only bike, and 93" at that.

Don't have a voes switch, didn't need it, you probably wont either, but try it if your having pinging probs.
RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW »

I've used the mechanical advance model, Mallory #556, and been please with it. Was easy to set up, and static timed with good results. I'm not sure, but I think it comes set with about 30 degrees advance. There is a kit available, # 29014, which comes with "Key"-like feeler gauges allowing you to set the advance from 14 to 28 degrees in two degree increments. This kit also comes with five sets of springs, allowing you plot your advance curve as needed.
There are two replacement modules that fit this distributor, one (#6100M) is cheaper than the other (#605). I keep a spare in my tool kit also, but have never needed it.
Mallory also makes the fancier, all-electronic distributor with adjustable rev limiter, selectable curves,single/dual fire, etc. It's about $150 more, and I didn't really see the need.
tickface

Post by tickface »

I switched from a Mallory A557 to a Vulcan motorworks and couldn't be happier. The Mallory worked excellent but I could never get it timed perfectly, one too many kickbacks. The Vulcan is really well made, much smaller and it is completely idiot proof install/timing.

http://vulcanworks.net/Electronic-Ignit ... p-180.html

Return to “Ignition”