Rear Timing mark On a 1956 FLH Panhead ?

All ignition related articles
Motorcyclemike
Bikes: Knucklehead and a Triumph

Rear Timing mark On a 1956 FLH Panhead ?

Post by Motorcyclemike »

I have a NEW " Dyna S " electronic spark kit with single fire 5 ohm coils installed on My 1956 FLH and need to know if i have a rear cylinder timing mark ?
I moved the front pickup module in its own arc and now i need to set the timing on the rear module then reset the front pick up module in it's proper place.

Mike in Kansas
TimmyV
Bikes: 1961 FLH
2017 FLHTKL

Re: Rear Timing mark On a 1956 FLH Panhead ?

Post by TimmyV »

IIRC, the late 1961 model Pans were the first to have the rear cylinder timing mark when they came out with the dual-points system.
Motorcyclemike
Bikes: Knucklehead and a Triumph

Post by Motorcyclemike »

Ok.....i think without a rear timing mark i will do This: i found a old tool thats called "Top Dead Center" tool that i used to use on my Bultacos 2 stroke motorcycles.....i will use it on the front cylinder first.... with a Firing mark and the dot for TDC....i will use the gauge in the front cylinder first and take both readings as where it fires at BTDC thats with the line centered in the timing hole then top dead center......then i will locate TDC in the rear cylinder and rotate the engine backwards to where the gauge was when it was at the firing mark in the Front Cylinder BTDC....that should be within a few degrees of the proper timing of the rear cylinder......sounds like a lots of work.....i know LOL.

After the flywheel is rotated back wards to the BTDC reading on the gauge....i will slightly go past the firing number to take UP gear lash Then slowly rotate it to the proper gauge setting ....then set the rear "Dyna S Ignition plate pick up module

That gauge box still had the price on it......$29.95 ! :lol:
Came with a 12mm spark plug adapter and a 14 mm too.....i use the 12mm shovel plugs in the STD Heads.
I had it in the front cylinder already worked great.....you must rotate the engine slowly i know because of the angle the pin to the piston is so the plunger will move to properly and NOT BREAK OFF......causing more EXTRA grief !

Any input is greatly appreciated !
Thanks .
Attachments
Top Dead Center Gauge (LG).JPG
Top Dead Center Gauge (LG).JPG (61.29 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
Last edited by Motorcyclemike on Sun May 23, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

mike,

i have same tool from my 2 stroke days. i was gonna suggest exactly what you are doing.

john

Return to “Ignition”