Mallory Unilite Distributor Question

All ignition related articles
Ripley/Fla
Inactive member

Mallory Unilite Distributor Question

Post by Ripley/Fla »

My bike is hard to start. Ugh! The battery voltage is good at the coil. New correct ohm $100 Super Duper coil. With the plugs (.030 gap) pulled and kicking it through, the spark appears puny. Has anyone had any experience with the module on these things going 'bad'? Or should I say half 'bad'? Thanks for any info. For what's it worth the bike runs fine once started.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Mallory Unilite Distributor Question

Post by fourthgear »

First , the electronic ign. needs not just good voltage but , over 12 volts to work right. ( mine has started with less ,but it took a while ,& I found I had a bad batt. )I think I gap my plugs @ .035.
Are you using electronic ign. plug wires ?
Hard starting can be a lot of things that have nothing to do with the ign.. Just the fact that she runs good after starting , I would also look at other things.
Ripley/Fla
Inactive member

Post by Ripley/Fla »

Fourthgear, Thanks for the reply. My good meter is at work, but with a cheapo analog it measures 11.2 VDC. Voltage does not drop with lights on, but I'll pick up a new one to eliminate that variable. For now the Battery Tender has been installed. I have the matching plug wires for the coil. Saturday the kick starter slipped and I really sprained my ankle badly. It is funny that the hard kicking is no problem, but stopping awkwardly really effed me up.
Sir_Rat
Inactive member
Bikes: '37 UL, '79 Frankenstein, '88 Sporty

Post by Sir_Rat »

Your battery is under charged or bad. Fix that then try again.

Aloha....Mike

Return to “Ignition”