Plug leads

All ignition related articles
StueyC
Inactive member
Bikes: 60 FL Pan, 2011 Wide Glide, 49 BSA, 40 Ariel, 47 Excelsior (British)

Plug leads

Post by StueyC »

How much life should I expect to get out of a set of spark plug leads (silicon type)?

On a recent ride the bike felt like the motor had gone out of ballance at low rev's and started missing a bit every now and then at highway speed. I changed the plugs with no result and then changed the leads with some spares I had and it seemed to fix the problem.

The original leads (Crane brand) are nnot that old.

StueyC
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: Plug leads

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Stuey
If those Crane plug wires are the carbon impregnated silicone type that may be your problem, I've never had much luck with the carbon-fiber wires. Try a set of solid copper stranded wires, I think you'll like them. In the old days when all the cars had AM radios you could really mess up somebody's reception when sitting next to them at a traffic light, but that shouldn't be a problem now.

mike
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Don't run copper if you have an electronic ign.. Points like the copper.
StueyC
Inactive member
Bikes: 60 FL Pan, 2011 Wide Glide, 49 BSA, 40 Ariel, 47 Excelsior (British)

Post by StueyC »

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm running an electronic ignition so I'll replace them with the same type. Just hope I get a few more miles out of them this time around. That is if the leads are actually the problem.

StueyC

Return to “Ignition”