Best electronic ignition conversion

All ignition related articles
PaulV
Inactive member

Best electronic ignition conversion

Post by PaulV »

I'm new to the panhead world and wondered what you guys thought was the best system to convert to electronic ignition? Anyone tried the Quickstart 2000?
Plain

Re: Best electronic ignition conversion

Post by Plain »

I am familiar with but have not used the Quick Start 2000. It is one of the drop in modules that replaces the poiint set up in your distributor. Works on six or twelve volt.

The Mallory Unilite is an excellent way to go for an electronic distributor. However, it only works with twelve volts, so you have to have a twelve volt conversion. It is also a complete distributor that replaces your entire original unit. On the '59 and later Pans you will have to pull the front head to get the old distributor out. May be more than you want to do, but the Mallory is a relatively trouble free sweet operating unit.

Plain
57Kicker
Bikes: -

Post by 57Kicker »

What would one of these units be worth? Or should I ask what is the list price?
CHEERS!
kell

Post by kell »

Try http://motorcyclegoodies2.com/frame.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; click electrical, type "Unilite" in the search box and scroll halfway down the page. $225
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
try http://www.foghollow.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a mallory the price is 205.00. the Ebeyond2000 guy wants 185.00 for his kit.as for pulling the head , well I put my stock dist in mine with out pulling head . just take top off of dist and put flat side of dist base up to head and it should go in, this is not with stock hesds they are std, but I recall doing the same on my 56 heads. mallory also comes apart to do this .

hey kell, I still have the ign. that you sent to me I will put it in soon as I get the time. some family members don't think I spend time with them,you would think 10-15 min is okay.
mbskeam
52WLCnFL

Post by 52WLCnFL »

I run a Boyer-Bransden (UK) universal 6 and 12 volt, negative earth set for years and years now on my Pan. The size is about halfway a matchbox and a cigarette box, it tucks nicely between the rear fender and the battery. Original points are maintained -which allows for quick conversion to the original in case of breakdown - but never need adjustment again. BB has no website, you have to phone them for ordering. Immediate dispatch, for less than 30 pounds charge on your credit card. Highly recommended.
I can supply phone numbers later.
Plain

Post by Plain »

Foghollow does indeed have the best price on the Mallory Unilite. If you order from them do not forget to order the separate part number distributor hold down clamp. Costs about $ 4.00. You have to go to the late style hold down clamp with the Mallory.

Head fin size changed in '59. Prior to '59 you can get the old distributor out without pulling the head. '59 and later heads front head has to be pulled to get the old one out. Mallory Unilite because of its design can be pulled out or put in with the '59 and later head in place.

Those interested in the QuickStart 2000 should go to http://www.ebeyond2000.net/quickstart.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for info.

Adios-----Plain
57pan
Inactive member

Post by 57pan »

OK - here's about all I know about electronic ignition. A unit like the QuickStart 2000 does two things.

1) it uses some sort of sensor to replace the points which eliminates the arcing and burning of the points contacts.
2) it uses a transistor to open and close the circuit that the points used to do. The transistor switches on/off more quickly and efficiently which produces a hotter spark at the plugs.

I've been using one of Kell's transistorized electronic gizmos for about 1200 miles and find that it performs very well for me.

This is a sort of compromise between a full electronic ignition and the old points ignition. It uses a transistor to open and close the primary circuit of the coil but it still has the old points, which are now used only to trigger the transistor.

The advantage of this system is that the points no longer carry the load that they did before so there is no arcing and burning of the points and the points gap (dwell) is not as critical as it was before - as long as the timing is correct. You also get the advantages of the faster switching capability of the transistor. Also, and I think this is important, you can convert back to the points ignition system along side the road if you have to.

Kell is the man when it comes to ignition systems - the last post I saw from him he was working on a capacitive discharge system.
kell

Post by kell »

Thanks for the kudos!
Yeah I'm glad the little bugger is still working. I have a few I made since then with much better packaging, they are potted with silicone in a seamless aluminum enclosure. Also better transistors.
Hey PaulV I have one sitting on my bench I can ship right away, send me a message if you want something lots cheaper than a Quickstart 2000 and easier to install than a whole new breaker.
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

I took the die grinder to the cylinder fins to fit the Mallory. After 3 weeks you can't even tell. The freshly ground fins have blended in quite nicely, plus you can yank it out if you wanna.
BIG ( REAL BIG ) difference since I went to a new coil & electronic ignition. I can feel it in the throttle.
Plain

Post by Plain »

One thing to sort of watch out for. If you are running the Mallory with single plug heads a 3 to 4 ohm coil will do. If you go to double plug heads then a 3 to 4 ohm coil will give a weak spark. It will run, but I think that you will find that it runs much better with a 1 to 2 ohm coil when using the Mallory with double plug heads.
kell

Post by kell »

I think Plain meant use two coils of about 1 or 2 ohms each, and wire the primaries in series. That's because Mallory calls for primary resistance between 2 and 4 ohms for their units to work properly.

Mallory has a diagram in the instruction sheet they send out with every breaker that shows how to do this.
Plain

Post by Plain »

Thanks for the catch Kell and keeping me straight. It was either my arthritis acting up and my fingers not typing correctly or a brain fart, but yes, I did mean to state TWO coils of 1 to 2 ohms. And wired as you suggested.

Plain
SFMike
Inactive member
Bikes: 68 Bonneville
48 EL
65 FLH
03 Road Glide
A few others over the years.

Post by SFMike »

I got the stock timer in and out of my '65 without removing the head-you have to take the top with the points and condenser off the lower part.

The mallory ads I have read state it is in two pieces and will slip right in if separated.

I have been wanting one of these-anybody know if above statement is correct?

I changed to a combo generator/regulator--sorri I didn't do it a lot sooner.
Sidecar

Post by Sidecar »

The mallory wouldn't fit in a S&S replica generator style.

Return to “Ignition”