Electronic Ignition Conversion an Andrews A Grind Cam

All ignition related articles
Mickey Yak
Bikes: 1950 Pan 58 frame Old School Custom Built
1981 Sportster IronHead

Electronic Ignition Conversion an Andrews A Grind Cam

Post by Mickey Yak »

Gents
I just put my easy start 2000 installed in the distributor. Spoke to Big Ed Great guy here is his web site http://www.ebeyond2000.net/quickstart.html
Question
I am running an Andrews-A grind cam. The Pan ran better at 12 thousands that the Harley speck of 22. Would I advance the mark or retard it to obtain this effect of closing the points a little?
Thanks Again
Mickey Yak
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: Electronic Ignition Conversion an Andrews A Grind Cam

Post by Panacea »

You could always experiment as you ride, I found slightly advanced worked best with the "A" grind on my 49. But the side effect was short lived motor. I went thru Wisco pistons, possibly fit to closely...Mike
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: Electronic Ignition Conversion an Andrews A Grind Cam

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Mickey
A smaller point gap will only cause them to stay open for a shorter period of time, it has no affect on the timing because you set the timing when the points are just beginning to open. Changing a mechanical point gap changes the dwell of the ignition: the coil will be energized for a longer period with the smaller gap, and de-energized for a shorter period. The duration difference may be what seems to produce a change in engine behavior with the "A" grind. When you set an electronic ignition with a few more degrees of advance it probably will not change the duration or dwell which has been pre-programmed into the solid state electronics.

Ask Big Ed about it, let us know what he says.

mike

Return to “Ignition”