Mallory A557 ignition install

All ignition related articles
tickface

Mallory A557 ignition install

Post by tickface »

Hello all, quick question for any Mallory/Spyke users out there. I have the A557 on my 1951, I followed there instructions for setting the timing using the TDC mark and couldn't get it to start. I tried a number of times and still nothing, then I tried it off the advance mark and it started. My question is did anyone else have this experience? Thanks in advance.
lockdoc
Inactive member
Bikes: 65 Panhead in a 70 FLH frame

Re: Mallory A557 ignition install

Post by lockdoc »

Which mark did you use? The circle or the line?
tickface

Post by tickface »

The line, which on my flywheels is the first mark.
Puma
Bikes: Panhead 1959

Post by Puma »

Hi,

I followed the instructions on the A557 Instruction sheet (FORM 1627 (REV A) 04/10) and while the instructions seems to make sense ("...the slots of the shutter wheel should be at about the 11 o’clock and 7 o’clock positions. The screw holes should be at the 9 o’clock and 3 o’clock positions..."), the image shown in the datasheet if upside down (!!!) I saw on youtube a installation procedure (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kIT9BARFV8) that states that the written instructions are correct (!) but the images are wrong... On the other hand, even though I followed the youtube video instructions, I still couldn't get my bike to start. I therefore followed your advice of timing the shutterwheel on the full advance timing mark (line) instead of the top dead center (dot). it finally started... Let's say that I'm not very proud of Accel in regards to the instruction sheet: the most annoying thing in regards to kickstart is when the bike doesn't start and they should know that. Wrong procedure is unacceptable. I'm sure the product is a quality product but wrong datasheet makes you doubt about all the rest...

Hope this info helps !!!

Puma
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I found that installation instructions can be quite Vague & Elusive.On any install of an electronic ig that is a 2-piece billet/Always on the ADV. mark!.I figured this out when guys would bust thier ass for 2-days trying to get a pan or shovel to fire & get nothing but washed down cylds. with fuel/& a sore leg.I always found them 180-out/(this was most of the time),or installed just a few degrees to give it a flame out the pipe once in awhile.As I would read the directions /I can see how someone who never did this ,can F-UP real easily.Throw in preset/IG curves & singlefire---Its olny a matter of time before a guy looses his cool & wrenches start sticking in doors,sheetrock-you get the pic.The manufacturers dont tell you /(oh yea by the way your year dont have timing marks on the wheel/or just some straight forward info that if it was printed/There be less Pissed-off guys out there,cause now they have to bring the bike to somebody just to TIME the SIMPLE MACHINE!.It comes down to this/The Timer has to be installed just like your OEM timer.And There power hungry!--A points Ig. will fire at 9-volts for a 12-volt system,no problem.But ELEC.-IG. NEED 12 or better!.Most of the bikes I fixed were always 180-out Mostly!--The others -I couldnt tell you how they figured it would start in the position left in.EVen the instuctions will give you a POP now & then.--------Respectfully-----Richie

Return to “Ignition”