Backfire on Hot Starts

All ignition related articles
Mickey Yak
Bikes: 1950 Pan 58 frame Old School Custom Built
1981 Sportster IronHead

Backfire on Hot Starts

Post by Mickey Yak »

Gents
My 50 FL is 12 Volt. Having an Andrew a grind cam made me work to find a point's gap that worked well. Thanks to a post I found that at 12 thousands the mill runs best. Last week I had some backfiring and stall on startup. Looking at the fuel filter it looked like a little water in it so I drained the carb. After a few passes with the points file it seems to clear up. Can't say it was water in the gas or ignition. Have any of you experienced a bad ground to the points?
Is changing over to a pointless system a good idea. QuickStart 2000 Electronic Ignition has my interest. There is the question of automatic advance. The whole pointless changeover is a bit confusing. What have you folks in Pan Heaven have to say?? I tried to call them but the number onj the web has changed.
Thanx
Mickey Yak
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Re: Backfire on Hot Starts

Post by james »

Have you tried a new condenser?
The Quickstart 2000 works great

jim
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift »

Dear Mickey,

Fifteen thou is mag points specs not battery ignition. If it ran better that tight then something else is off.

A funky cam only affects the points setting if its a cone motor shovelhead. But its the cover bushing usually. Hell, even Andrews ain't that bad.

Grounding the timer points cap can be just a problem with heavy paint or powdercoating. Got a VOM?

But I guess you could always throw money at it if it feels good.

Spectful.
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

I have OEM HD circuit breakers in both my 49 and 58 pans.I would not consider changing them over to any sort of electronic system.I suggest you check your circuit breaker top bushing for slop,check and charge your battery,clean the battery terminals(be SURE you have a good ground connection) buy a good set of points and a good condensor(OEM if you can find any)Make sure all your surfaces in the circuit breaker are clean,dry and free of any oil or grease .Set the point gap at .020-.022" ,clean the points with contact cleaner and a business card after setting.Carefully inspect the connections to the points wire under the circuit breaker and at the coil and switch and see what happens.If it wont run and start properly then like Nightshift says-its something else.HTH and good luck. :)

Return to “Ignition”