"Distributor" loose - vibrates back to advanced position...

All ignition related articles
hobo
Inactive member
Bikes: 1955 FL

"Distributor" loose - vibrates back to advanced position...

Post by hobo »

Okay guys, my first of probably MANY questions for this group. While I'm waiting for my service manual to arrive, I thought I would deal with the "distributor" issue of being too loose. I've had the bike running a few different times now and started to adjust the Linkert based on many threads here, but I'm not sure where the "Distributor" should be set at idle and it wants to vibrate and turn towards the motor (which, on my '55, I think this is advancing the timing from what I see and read so far).

My car days don't seem to help here, as there is no bracket to tighten that puts pressure on the shaft, and I don't see anything near the condenser/points that would tighten. My Shovel projects have always had cones, so this is my first flatside bike. Is this a bushing-related issue or am I missing something? I haven't pulled the cam cover off yet.

Thanks!

Hobo
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Re: "Distributor" loose - vibrates back to advanced position...

Post by panhead »

Is the bracket loose (see arrow on picture)?:
distributor.jpg
distributor.jpg (74.6 KiB) Viewed 4547 times
panwars
Bikes: 61FL in a late 49 frame.
59FLH almost stock

Post by panwars »

Good morning,

It is supposed to be loose. Timing is set in the full advance position and the retarded positions for starting only. It used to be controlled by a cable. You need the book for proper procedure on timing. I just have a light throttle spring from the timer (distributer) to the old relay bolt that keeps it advanced and won't let it flop around. The spring is weak enough that I can retard it to start and it flops right back to full advance from vibration on start up.

Hope this helps,

Scott
doug_heisel
Bikes: 1952 FL, 2015 Road king

Post by doug_heisel »

Does your 55 have the distributer advance cable hooked up? I pretty new here and new to this old iron too but to my understanding there's a cable that is used to advance the timing when you starrt the panheads and then you retard the distributer back to where its supposed to be.

Ok nows when everyone can come and correct me on everything I got wrong. :lol:

sorry Panwars I didn't mean to step on any feet I must have been typing as you were posting.
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

to my understanding there's a cable that is used to advance the timing when you starrt the panheads and then you retard the distributer
You have it backwards, Doug.

You retard the timing(rotate clockwise) to start the engine, and then advance it fully(counterclockwise, or front of timer "toward the engine") to run.
doug_heisel
Bikes: 1952 FL, 2015 Road king

Post by doug_heisel »

Thanks! awander, I haven't reached the point in my build where I start it. I knew I was going to get something wrong :lol: I'll definatly keep it in mine when I get to start mine.
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Post by Ohio-Rider »

Use a spring as descriped by panwars to keep that timer advanced. These panheads can get real hot real quick when run with the time in the retarded position. Only takes a few short minutes to blue your pipes.
hobo
Inactive member

Post by hobo »

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I don't see a spring on mine, but I'll verify that when i get home tonight. Sounds like it's operating like it should though, which is always a good thing!

Now I just have to decide (while I'm rebuilding and polishing my Linkert), whether to run it with my Colony intake or do the CV thing like many others. For the local riding I'll do on this chop, I'll probably try to stick with the Linkert and do a leak test as everyone suggests.
Attachments
Pan2.jpg
Pan2.jpg (8.39 KiB) Viewed 4541 times
NightShift
Bikes: Two Schwinns, a Hercules, and a Hiawatha

Post by NightShift »

Let me make things muddier first!

That thing that panhead points at in the drawing IS the spring. Its gotta be tight enough to keep the cap from rocking.
And its the grip wire that keeps the timer from retarding itself. If you just cant have no advance grip, you do like Scott and add a little coil spring instead. But get good at reaching down there in the dark!

By the way, polishing a linkert aint worth the time, I found out.

'Spectful,
hobo
Inactive member

Post by hobo »

NightShift wrote:Let me make things muddier first!

That thing that panhead points at in the drawing IS the spring. Its gotta be tight enough to keep the cap from rocking.
And its the grip wire that keeps the timer from retarding itself. If you just cant have no advance grip, you do like Scott and add a little coil spring instead. But get good at reaching down there in the dark!

By the way, polishing a linkert aint worth the time, I found out.

'Spectful,
Thanks Nightshift - I figured the brass would tarnish up again fairly quick, but I was bored and I had to do something related to the Pan while eating dinner with the family that night... :D

Return to “Ignition”