timing after changing cam

All ignition related articles
knm
Inactive member

timing after changing cam

Post by knm »

I just installed a andrews a cam in my pan double checked timing marks. when i checked the timing of distributer it was off going to have to pull it to reset. is this normal, or should i pull timing cover off to ceck for other problems.i cant seem to see how distributer should be off. thanks for any thoughts on this.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: timing after changing cam

Post by Panacea »

Maybe it was off before you took it apart?
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: timing after changing cam

Post by 58flh »

Anytime I put a new cam in for a customor--I always use a degree-wheel,--Now IM not saying the motor wont run by putting cam in dot to dot!--Just remember a V-Twin motor has 720 degrees of crankshaft rotation!!-TO make 1 revolution!-(Alot of people think its 360 degrees in a circle)-& they are correct!---BUT WE are dealing with more than 1 cylinder & 4 valves!--that is why there is 720 degrees of crankshaft rotation!---JUST like a BIG BLOCK CHEVY!--IN using a degree-wheel you will be surprised on how much a cams mark can be off!--YOU can go mark to mark & the bike will run!--BUT I know When I spend my hard earned cash on a camshaft,-YOU can bet your ass IM gonna use a wheel & squeeze every ounce of HORSE-POWER I can out of it!---Some of the big-boy manufacturers are pretty close yo thier timing-mark( I would say good being no more then 2 teeth off!---AND ALL of THEM are OFF!)---This does not mean you cant buy & put it in mark to mark--thats fine!-It will run!-& run-good!---bUT I like to squeeze all i can out of them bumpsticks!---JUST the way I was broken in at a very early age!--When your dad has Harleys & all his buds have HDs. THEY tend to teach you the proper way of doing things!-Today when I change a cam for a customer,-I automatically degree it! AT no X-TRA charge!. Somebody told me that my competition on the other side of town,-charges $100.00 for this oiperation!--thats not me!-TO me degreeing is part of changing a cam properly!--I guess thats the DIFFERENCE between us oldschoolers & these kids today!(wheels-up)--58flh 8)

Return to “Ignition”