Shovel style coil + or -

All ignition related articles
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Shovel style coil + or -

Post by mbskeam »

hello, as my stock coil puked and i got this one for the right price,FREE ;D I think I will run it. but I have a ? about what leed is hot side and witch is dist side . as I can not find a + or - on this thing. the wire posts stick out top and bott.with the plug wires going forward. thanks
mbskeam
ps: It will run both ways, but what is right?
weezeo
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Shovel style coil

Post by weezeo »

Is it top or bottom screw on's? where does it mount? Most coils are either or.
Is it mounted on top motor mount or down tube? I would go with wire diagram if stock assembly
Definitely either or. ?
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

hello, it sits in the stock loc as the old square style. with the plug leads pointing too the front and with one terminal on top and one on the bottom. i have asked a few folks around here and have not got a answer that is the same from person to person. most just say that they hook it up the way it came off. ok but what about if it wasnt hooked up? that seems to be the problem. thanks for any input

mbskeam
PS:
look at pics. on panhead page; subject; frame mounted seat system on panheads bike is the style coil I now have and its mounted this way, o this is so much fun ;D is top lead hot or to dist?
kell

Post by kell »

Electrically there's no "correct." Both ends are just the same.
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

hello, the reason im asking is that i thought there was the primary side (big wire less wraps) and secondary side(fine wire many wraps).and that hooking it up one way vs the other will produce more out put voltage.
mbskeam
kell

Post by kell »

On some bike or automotive ignition coils there is an electrical connection made between the primary and secondary at one end of each of the windings, which means it makes a difference which way you hook them up.
However, your coil secondary (plug wire) side is completely isolated from the primary (screw studs). A regular power transformer is the same way. On a transformer PRIMARY, it does not matter which way you connect the wires. You can put the black wire on the left terminal and the white wire on the right terminal, or you can do it the other way around. The transformer will still work. And that's why your bike runs with the wires connected either way. On a coil like that you can't get anything mixed up.
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

hello, thanks for explaining this to me.
mbskeam

Return to “Ignition”