hey now
will a 3 omh coil work ok with points ?
thanks
chucklbones
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Re: Coil ohm

Post by caschnd1 »

Need more info on the coil. The 3ohm coils I've seen are intended for use with electronic ignition modules. They have smaller windings that charge up super fast. Usually not good for a points system. The electronic ignitions have a saturation control that keeps them from getting over heated.

Where does your 3ohm coil come from?

-Craig
chucklbones
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by chucklbones »

hey now
craig yep i am useing electric ing coil is a dyna 12 v 3 ohm i was just wondering can i put points back in if i had trouble on the road
got elec. on my bagger 12 yrs no problem
but had problem on my pan with elec useing 4/1/2 ohm coil changed to 3ohm so far great
thanks
chucklbones
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

I'd do some research on the Dyna coil and see what their install docs say about using with points. My guess is that points will cause the coil to overheat. You might be able to limp home but you could end up damaging the coil in the process. Maybe carry a coil for points with you too? Or, do like I do and put your faith in the electronic ignition. Hasn't let me down in countless miles of riding with them.

-Craig
kell

Post by kell »

hey chucklbones
I think you are ok with 3 ohm coil.
The points will conduct a little more current than they would with a 4 1/2 ohm coil. No biggie. You would have to service the points sooner, but nothing would burn up.
Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

Post by 108 »

Chucklbones, If you put the points back in it should run fine . Just don't let it sit with the ignition on without starting it. If the points happen to be closed the current flow would be higher with the 3 ohm. But then you should avoid that with any points system.

Return to “Ignition”