STD Panhead spark plugs

All ignition related articles
756pro
Inactive member

STD Panhead spark plugs

Post by 756pro »

Waht kind of spark plugs do STD Panhead take?
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

756 Pro

My STD heads take the standard Evo Plug(1340 Evo 84-99) Harley # 5R6A, Champion # RN12YC. For more options go to: http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hdsparkplugs01.htm

King
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

NGK BP5ES
kell

std plugs

Post by kell »

I use Champion N11YC, because they're non-resistor.
duoglide58

Re: STD Panhead spark plugs

Post by duoglide58 »

I called STD back in 2005 for a spark plug recommendation and they suggested RN12YC or RC12YC. The STD head requires a longer plug/thread. I think I ended up running an equivalent geomety plug, AC R45XLS and R44XLS.
Doug
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: STD Panhead spark plugs

Post by 58flh »

HEY GUYS!---just wanted to shed a little light on spark-plugs!.Champion are about thr worst ones we came accross so far!--(REASON)-We smashed one apart slowly in a vise, & caught all the pieces that count!--I would like to add to this we also did accel, ngk, ac, screaming-eagle, bosch,& 1 more I cant put my finger on, anyway---The champions are extremely fragile!-& that is the problem with them, A service person could drop one & believe me that plug is toast!-They made the insulator to thin we found out later on after a little company research!.(I would say do not put in your pan, or any other aircooled motor for that fact!)-Dont forget we run at slightly higher temps then a vehicle with a fan & radiator do! They have controlled temperature!--If we sit for a bridge my pans fan dont kick-on when its supposed to! :lol: .I know the oil that I run is good from 190-degrees to 225-I get a little ,lets get moving here!-ya know we all been there & that oil light dont mean nothing!!!-you still have plenty of PRESSURE!.--The ACs were a good plug!---The ACCELS not that bad but I would go for a AC if had a choice!---IM NOT SAYING THE PLUGS ARE BAD! IM JUST TRYING TO SAY WHICH ARE GOOD FOR OUR NEEDS!(hell champions been around for years!). The way they discern between a hot plug & cold plug is like this very simple if it doesent have the #s on them!-Just look at where the insulator ends. If its below the plug-thread-line when looking accross ,its a hot plug(LESS-INSULATOR)--if above the thread line (cooler-plug). And all that insulator between! I run BOSCH plats in my pan & I ride alot!!--3rd.-year & 26,000 & change & still look like the day I put them in!(no shit). I have heard about some new plug matierial there called (Iridium-Plugs)-I read that as soon as IG. is on the iridium-tipped plugs come right to running temperature!---Sounds interesting but there like $13 a plug! Anyone else know about these? help shed some light on them?-------RICHIE :?:

Return to “Ignition”