Need info on Mallory Distributor install on a '52

All ignition related articles
69camfrk
Inactive member

Need info on Mallory Distributor install on a '52

Post by 69camfrk »

I have already put it in and have fired the bike off, but all is not right. My bike is a '52 and I have no idea whether or not the flywheels are original to the bike. For the timing marks it has a single dot and marked next to it is a T and R. The other mark is a dot with another dot over it and a T and F. With the two dots the front cylinder is at TDC. There is also a hash mark on the flywheel too. Basically I'm unsure if I've got the distributor installed right since I can't keep it running. Coughs through the carb more often than not. I installed it according to the instructions but they left out which timing mark was which and whether or not it should be aligned in the center of the timing hole or to one side or another. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: Need info on Mallory Distributor install on a '52

Post by FlatHeadSix »

The double dot mark with the "F" is the one you want, if you check closely the front piston will be ALMOST at TDC when the mark enters the window while turning the engine in the direction it normally runs.

Put the mark in the center of the window and make sure that the Mallory is held in the full advance position when you do the final adjustment and lock it down.

If it ran at all you are very close, now you just need to make sure the advance is correct.

mike

Re: Need info on Mallory Distributor install on a '52

Post by Guest »

Thanks!!! I'll keep tinkering with it and try to get it right!

Return to “Ignition”