best points and condenser for panhead

All ignition related articles
pan50head
Bikes: 1950 FL

best points and condenser for panhead

Post by pan50head »

Have a stock 1950 panhead. What is the best brand of points and condenser to use? Where can they be purchased?
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: best points and condenser for panhead

Post by john HD »

i have had good luck with blue streak parts.

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.as ... bluestreak

i just did a tune up on a buddy's 63 FLH using oem harley parts with good success. the points harley sells seem of lesser quality due to the fiber insulator where the points pivot. just my personal taste i guess.

either one will work.

john
pan50head

Post by pan50head »

John, thank you very much. I will give BlueStreak a try.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

napa has them....

the set on the right, has a much bigger contact surface

numbers are for points and condenser

mbskeam
Perry
Bikes: 1957 FLH Hand Shift
2015 Ultra Low

Post by Perry »

I recently tried to install a set of points from Drag Specialties on my '57. The bushing is about .003" too small to fit over the post. Also a very small contact area.

Perry
partshunt
Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1917F
1923JD
1928JD
1929JD
1929 Indian Four cyl
1954 Harley FL
2007 FLHTC

Post by partshunt »

Does any one know if Delco Remy is still in buisness? I believe they were the original supplier for Harley Panhead contact points of the fiftys/sixtys. Same point set as Chev and GMC used at that time. Any confirmation?...Joe
VT

Post by VT »

IMO, if you can get a part that works correctly from NAPA............go with NAPA. Thanks for the pics and part numbers mbskeam. Deluxe.
Pomike
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Pomike »

Just to throw this out there. I have a set of points that are supposed to be high quality, for pans, pt. # 30605-48(A)? Made by a German company. I don't know if this is the name of the company, or something else, but it says SCHIER-KONTAKTE on the label, #2612. They have a full length contact patch. I haven't had to use them yet. A friend of mine with a '52 had problems with some of the aftermarket points he bought. The diameter of the pivot was too small. They wouldn't move. Good luck!
Mike
gitguy
Bikes: 1948 EL
1965 FLH
1966 FLH

1980 FLT Semi-Custom

Post by gitguy »

Hi John,

Have you used these blue streak points in an older bike? I have searched long and hard but have only been able to find the blue streak brand for 1970-E1978 models and that is what is listed at this link:

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.as ... bluestreak

I used to put them in my 1965 Chevy pickup and would like to find some that fit my bikes (1966 FLH and1948 EL) but have been coming up empty.

The condenser is listed for models 1930-E1978 but not the points. I will try the NAPA brand!

Gitguy
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I personally prefer the point set with the nut and bolt type terminal for the lead attatchment, I've had the wire slip out from under the spring band on the cheaper type. Mike
VT

Post by VT »

That would be the NAPA CS788. Have you used a set of these in 6V setup yet ? (yes, voltage doesn't matter, but I want them to be 6V worthy) Are they proven performers? I trust the nut terminal too, not an electrical slip joint.
I wish NAPA would buy out the entire OHV antique aftermarket.
I have a set (with the stud & nut terminal) running in my stock 6 volt '49 pan right now, they seem to fit and function just fine.
Good tip -Open it at the counter. We know where and how to get points and condensers now.
Last edited by VT on Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

VT,

Both those contact sets (CS) are CS 788, you never know what is going to come out of those old Echlin boxes because the parts have been around for years and probably repackaged several times. You have to open the box at the store and make sure its the style you like because they could be either one. The RR 176 is the condensor.

Both those numbers cross to Standard Motor Products (SMP) parts. The points are DR-2240X, the condensor is DR-90X.

I have a set (with the stud & nut terminal) running in my stock 6 volt '49 pan right now, they seem to fit and function just fine.

mike
beets
Bikes: 56 FL, 07 Goldwing ,91 BMW K75

Post by beets »

I use Harley points,condensers and plugs bought at my local dealer. It is a tune up kit that is listed in the current accessory cataloge for $20.00.
pan50head

Post by pan50head »

Thank you for all of the information. I went to the local Napa store, my favorite store in town, and the store actually had a set of CS788 points. However, upon looking at them, they would not fit on my circuit breaker plate. My plate, from a 1950 FL, has a vertical stud over which the points fit. The CS788 do not have a hole in the points such that they would not fit over the stud. The CS788 points require the later type of circuit breaker plate where the points fit into an indent in the plate. Regardless, I bought a set of Echlin points that fit, CS763P, with matching condenser RR174.

I don't know about you guys, but I lay awake at night thinking about important things like as follows: The "P" designation at the end of the points part number means that one of the points surfaces is "pierced." It has a 1/16" hole in the middle of the contact surface. I suppose that this is to prevent buildup on the surface. Has anyone tried this type of points? Thanks.
VT

Post by VT »

Regardless, I bought a set of Echlin points that fit, CS763P, with matching condenser RR174.

I don't know about you guys, but I lay awake at night thinking about important things like as follows: The "P" designation at the end of the points part number means that one of the points surfaces is "pierced." It has a 1/16" hole in the middle of the contact surface. I suppose that this is to prevent buildup on the surface. Has anyone tried this type of points? Thanks.
These issues are all that's worth pondering. I'd like to get to the bottom of all this - with a points and condenser all of we OEM style timer people can use.

Return to “Ignition”