Spark plugs recommendation for easier starting

All ignition related articles
frankovy
Inactive member

Spark plugs recommendation for easier starting

Post by frankovy »

does anybody want to recommend a good spark plug to make starting a little easier.
chucktx

Post by chucktx »

i use autolite in my fords.....and a/c's in my chevys and bikes.....what are you going to put them in???????
chucktx
frankovy
Inactive member

what type of plugs?

Post by frankovy »

i'll try ac's what gap and type for 62 pan?

Post by Guest »

champion j12yc.............. .030
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Spark plugs recommendation for easier starting

Post by 58flh »

I use Bosh platinum plugs---STAY away from champions as they do come in the correct heat-ranges--but are a junk-plug!---just take a used autolite or AC plug-----smash-em apart along with a champion & the reason is instantly visual!-- Champs have areal almost paper of an insulator!--then look at the others----LOTS of meat!---I have been messing with these along time, you can accidently drop a champion-so you recheck the gap & in iy goes--only to end-up with a miss!---IT WONT happen to the others I mentioned--(I TRIED IT). NOW put the champs in the envirement of a rigid bike air-cooled--yes the temps are a little hot!---They do not hold up!--THIS is a old thread but I just read-it! & have to tell everybody, that dont know!-In my shop a guy would bring his bike in for a tune-up & pre-buy all the stuff-yes champ. plugs! Put everything together, never dropped a plug---also I told him dont use these before they were installed! We go to fire-up & plop,plop,bang,plop,plop,bang---one cyl. not firing!--I felt which one was cold,& put his old plug in & restarted the bike & it ran with no troubles!. So we pulled the other & put the old AC back in. Who knows it could have been mishandled & dropped while being put on a shelf!-Just MY 2-cents on the suject.(Good-Rides to all!).----58flh :!:
JohnnyBadBrains
Inactive member
Bikes: 1956 FLH Panhead
1938 UL Flathead
1968 FL Shovel (Basket case)
2007 HD Street Bob

Post by JohnnyBadBrains »

58flh, what do you gap those Bosch plugs at? On my '56flh I've been running Champions at .25 with points gapped at .22 and now you have me curious, since I tend to drop things a little too often :)

Thanks!
Johnny
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

JOHNNYBADBRAINS----Sorry for the long-time to respond to your ?--I gap mine as much as I can get away with!--Right now the cond. of my plugs/there tired so im at .028/when I change to new ones it will be .035--(remember platinum is a real good conductor of electricity! Also the wider the gap the more power you make for the simple reason of the longer FLAMEFRONT!--IT burns-up the air/fuel mix way better! oh yea & dont use (radio-suppresion wires) if running points! THEY are great for electronic ig. but crap for points! Again the bike will run & run good---but youll gain a better spark using the non-suppresion wires!.& that = better flamefront once again! & thats what you want!---Its hard to find non-supresion wires/ what I did was buy a set of MSD,non-radio suppresions for$86 for a 6cyl. motor ,Then I made-up wires for myself & a few buddies,its expensive for sure but you get a few guys to pitch in the kitty & off you go!.---(GOOD-LUCK)----RICHIE-(58flh) :twisted: I forgot to tell you something everyone should do,but dont!--Index your plugs with a sharpie.Just make a straight line down the plug where the gap is. Then when putting them in with new crush-washers you set the spark-up to fire dead center everytime.once you go past ,its over for that cyl. anyway,could work on the rear jug? so do it slowly.This also is free-power to be gained/& good flametravel!----RICHIE(58flh)---Little things like this no matter how small all add-up at the track!--these were my proving grounds growing-up as a kid with dad& his buddies racing that old Iron!& it still is the proving grounds for tracks around the USA!.
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

Richie, what's the part number on the Bosch platinum plugs?

Jim
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

HEY GUYS!---AGAIN I have found out which Bosch Plat+4 work in PANS!---HOW I did it!---I have a biz. account at a Autozone!--The guys know me & He let me open all the +4 boxes till I found the correct thread & Depth of plug!--NOW these plugs are 5/8 size plugwrench!,Also they are the tapered style for modern cars that seal to the head!--(I chucked-up the plugs in a lathe ,faced off .010 to .015--I liked the .015 better because it gave me more meat on the compresion washers!)--The nice part is you dont have to gap or index these plugs!-As every 90 degrees theres a multitude of sparks happening!.--The pros.----Better throttle response & I had great response as it was & It IMPROVED!, Gas milage went up to 3.8--just call it 4 miles per/gallon!--Solo rider, I ride 2-up 80% of the time & have not yet done the #s!--I suppose it would be half that ,But you dont know till you do it!. Motor temperature --SAME AS ALWAYS!--I expected a rise but no its the same!---I tried putting 1-in out of the box without cutting it down on the taper--& it works!,no leaks!--(BUT THE ADDED seat for the washer by removing .015 is better!--When you dont do this simple step the crushwashers ride on that taper & can ruin your top plug thread in the HEAD!--So I recommend the .015 face-off of taper!. Finally The PLUG # you want is --(BOSCH PLATINUM+4--4449,HGR,9,BQP)--& KICK STARTING Woke me up!--My bike fires in 1-hotkick cold or hot Just ALOT LESS EFFORT in the kick on the comp. stroke!--I just relax my leg & shes on!--(NICE-PLUGS)-I like em & would recomend them!---My next one is going to be the IRIDIUM-PLUG,-(the word is according to bosch is that as soon as the current hits the plugs they are instantly at operating temperature!)--WE SHALL SEE!---I dont know much about iridium but ill read-up on it & see if its true or not!---GOOD-RIDES to ALL-----RICHIE 8)

Return to “Ignition”