Dual points distributor

All ignition related articles
Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

Dual points distributor

Post by 108 »

Description: Did these give a single fire ignition

From what I've read , some early Pans came with dual points and dual coils. Did these give a single fire ignition ? Were they a problem? I cant seem to find much in print about them.
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Re: Dual points distributor

Post by hplhd »

if i remember right they were on 61-64. mine was gone from my 64 when i got it so i can't tell ya much. it does show it in the serv manual.
ultrapan
Bikes: '64 FL,'42E,'03 Ultra Classic,

Post by ultrapan »

I have dual points in my 64. I haven't had any problems I've had the bike since '85. They take a little more time to install and time but nothing too difficult. If my coils ever go bad I don't know where I'll ever find replacements. I'm still 6 volt
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

It was the finest ignition that HD ever produced: no 'dead spark".

(Modern don't count.)
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

YES --this is old post, but The MOCOs DUEL-POINT set-up IS the BEST IG. HD ever put-out!-(as COTTON said).--IT is the ORIGINAL SINGLE-FIRE, if you want to look at it that way.--(no wasted spark). You can tune each CYL. EXACTLY WHERE YOU NEED IT!--for your particular application!--And as for a stock-PAN, Its the best IG to own!--Once you know how they work & its SIMPLE--YOU will set-up your bike in less then a half hour!. And it will run better then the singlepoint auto advance timers!--I run a single-Auto!, But want a Duelpoint in it bad!-(when this$$$ permits).--Today Electronic Ig. have been putting $$ in my pocket!, & they are GREAT!--SET & FORGET!---The ones that drop in original timers are NICE!-(ebeyond-2000, crane,)just to name a few! There are ALOT out there!--SPYKE makes a nice set-up to me is better suited for a pan-clone motor --Big-inch CAM STD,the whole 9!--THEY COOK & I love em!--But for OEM motors, Singlepoint, or better yet DUELPOINT is KING of the grop to me!. Also it depends on yer style of useage!--If a Daily-runner bike a singlepoint or Duelpoint & Drop in Electronic IG. are great!--Electronic if your not a tinker kind of guy!--But if yer ass is in the seat all the time then you know your routine for ADJ. Especialy when on a rigid!----RICHIE
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The factory dual point ignition was a decent ignition but suffered a serious flaw. The second set of points is in a fixed position on the base, which does not allow individual timing without using the points gap to do so, thereby changing the dwell angle which can lead to coil issues. By not allowing the rear cylinder points to be accurately timed with the correct gap, it never quite met the level of performance it could have. Modification is possible though, so all is not lost.
Dual point systems were considered so problematic to the average owner that many were removed and replaced with the earlier set-up to facilitate tuning. Partly because the earliest versions were sent out on bikes with no rear cylinder timing mark, making it very difficult if not impossible for the home mechanic to deal with. Many of them were scrapped making it difficult to find all the correct parts no for those willing to sort them out and enjoy the benefits they are capable of.
Robbie
63 Duo
Bikes: 1963 Duo Glide

Post by 63 Duo »

1963 Dual points here, have run those in the past too. Once you set them up (and you know how to do it) performance and starting is fantastic. However Robbie is correct on the theoretical level. My bike now starts cold every time first kick except maybe once in 10 which starts with the 2nd kick.
4pans1man
Bikes: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Post by 4pans1man »

PHOTO'S IN MISC.

TONY

Return to “Ignition”