Electronic ignition & spark plug

All ignition related articles
hugh

Electronic ignition & spark plug

Post by hugh »

I recently purchased a Mallory ignition for my stock 65 panhead. Does anyone know if I should run a different spark plug with an electronic ignition. It was also suggested to me that I may just need to change the spark plug gap. Any ideas?
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

hugh
I 'am also running a Mallory and I use Champion RJ12YC ( resister plugs work fine )plugs @ .035 gap . I tried .040 and got some ping when loaded up , so I went back to .035. You will also want to use electronic plug wires with the graphite cores or what ever is in them things.
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Hi Hugh

I second forthgears's advice; resistor plugs and resistor wires with the gap in the 30-35 range.

One other thing to check is the resistance of your coil. Coils with a resistance of 3 ohms or less are preferred with electronic ignitions. I think the stock ones with the points set-up are 4.7 ohms. The higher resistance coil will not wreck anything but the system gives better performance with the lower resistance coils.

King
pandit
Bikes: *

Post by pandit »

If it works, you don't have to change.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

I agree with King , I could tell I got better performance with the 3 ohm coil over the 5 ohm I had on there . I used the 5 ohm for a couple of months before I changed it out , still worked good though . As said , you may get better service life from your electronics with the correct coil.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Electronic ignition & spark plug

Post by 58flh »

Better Performance with a 3ohm Dyna coil!---It will run with the 4 to 5ohm coils for point applications!, But for absolute top performance from your electronic (dist.) use suppresion wires & a coil of 3ohms is Ideal!---The 3ohm coil will produce a BETTER SPARK! Cold or hot engine. As a result you can run a larger plug gap!--Always index your plugs unless your using Bosch+4-Platinum plugs!--These plugs require no gapping -(And they are not a buy & bolt-in plug!)- I have wrote a HOW-TO with these plugs in the K-base under Favorite spark-plugs I believe. Also if running the 4.7ohm coil to long--I have HEARD that it AFFECTS the HALL-SENSOR MAG.--I cannot confirm this, as I didnt do any experiments on it!--Anyway most of ELECTRONIC IG. suppliers,makers recomend to use a 3ohm coil.---Hope this helps,---Richie
wileysnkskns
Inactive member

Re: Electronic ignition & spark plug

Post by wileysnkskns »

:| Her anybody got any idea what the timing set is on the Mallory electronic ignition, #380-749??? I know the set to start in the installation instructs but, how bout a little help on completed timing when done at 2moro,000 rpm as instructed, forgot where I had original set, since I suffered traumatic brain injury from
being run overby illegal alien who then ran, leaving me lying dead in the street, Phoenix, AZ.
96" beast panhead chopper!
96" beast panhead chopper!
IMG_20130129_140613-1-1.jpg (34.96 KiB) Viewed 5105 times

Return to “Ignition”