All ignition related articles
suicideshovel65
Bikes: 37 U
Multiple K models

Magneto

Post by suicideshovel65 »

Just thought I'd post this link here:

http://www.morrismagneto.com/index.html

I note that they have an "auto" advance magneto available for panheads, as well as a manual version.
Not cheap, but look interesting.

Cheers,

Simon
sleeper

Re: Magneto

Post by sleeper »

SS 65-

I put a Morris "Impulse G-5" in a '65 S&S Pan clone.
Got to really check this Mag out, closely.
Their "auto-advance" is, Not like a HD auto-advance timer that has a taylored advance curve.
Morris's G-5 is either fully retarded or with a bit of 'RPM'
increase it goes instantly to Full Advance. This is what most other mags have done by hand.
I did like that the 'Mag head' could be removed, leaving the base still in..
& they have incorporated a recoil on the points cam lobe that is supposed to help starting, w/ an easy kick.
This is the first mag I have seen that the cam turns "backwards"
Didn't like the big base & then the head on top of that.
My opinion is Morris is Very proud of this one $$$$
It works good, but I would prefer a 'taylored advance curve" & a bit more reasonable price.
dj

Post by dj »

My Joe Hunt magneto is now in the care of this guy...

http://www.goblinmillworx.com/magnetos/index.html

.....for a total rebuild. The original 1/4" shaft is getting changed to 3/8" which means having the original rotor bottom broached to accept the 3/8" shaft. This is the modern standard. It was either that, or go with a used 1/4" shaft he had. New bearings, seals, points, coil, cap....almost everything new except the case and the rotor (which will be recharged). Then he'll set it on a two hour oscilloscope test run.
Buck is a Morris authorized repairman, and does really impressive custom work from the pictures on his site...
...and how about a magneto system for a twin cam?
Check it out.

Dave
1957StrokedPan

Post by 1957StrokedPan »

'My Joe Hunt magneto is now in the care of this guy...

http://www.goblinmillworx.com/magnetos/index.html

.....for a total rebuild. The original 1/4" shaft is getting changed to 3/8" which means having the original rotor bottom broached to accept the 3/8" shaft. This is the modern standard. It was either that, or go with a used 1/4" shaft he had. New bearings, seals, points, coil, cap....almost everything new except the case and the rotor (which will be recharged). Then he'll set it on a two hour oscilloscope test run.
Buck is a Morris authorized repairman, and does really impressive custom work from the pictures on his site...
...and how about a magneto system for a twin cam?
Check it out.

Dave
Buck is great guy who does awsome work..you'll be hapy when he is done doing his thing..
chopper
Inactive member

Post by chopper »

Hi guys
I'm looking at a magneto for my Pan that is called TCME, dont know much about magnetos and the guy who sells it says it's a Joe Hunt and that they changed name at the company for a while to TCME ?? Like i said i dont know anything about it and i'm hoping that maybe someone at the forum knows what this TCME is...

/Rikard
jed

Post by jed »

Hey Rikard, TCME is the brand of the plastic aftermarket cap....Your magneto probably is a Joe Hunt. You should try to get a bakelite cap made by Morris...the plastic TCME cap is OK but if it gets too close to the exhaust it will melt and allow the elements in...namely water.
chopper
Inactive member

Post by chopper »

Thanks Jed.
Now that i know i will go ahead and buy the magneto. The price is right and i know the magneto is ok but i thought i might as well ask to make sure that i dont do anything stupid and buy some crap.. ???

Thanks again
/Rikard

Return to “Ignition”