12v dual points

All ignition related articles
shaker

12v dual points

Post by shaker »

I want to try a dual point dist, that i had left from my 61 basket , on my 49 that i changed to 12v , can i use my stock 12v points coil, for the 2 sets of points or do i try to hook up two single lead12v coils. ? shaker
WirePan

Re: 12v dual points

Post by WirePan »

Hey Shaker!
That dual point was standard on your 61 and should have had dual coils as well (6 v). You'll need two wires out of the circuit breaker. I think their idea (HD) was to get more energy to each plug by separating the two and giving each it's own coil. I guess they changed their minds again in 65 and went back to single point although they also went to 12 volt at that time (more energy). My guess is that a single point breaker at 12 volts would work just fine.
WirePan
haggis
Bikes: *

Post by haggis »

Hi Shaker,
From my point of view you will be wasting your time and giving yourself a headache.
Changing to dual point wont give you anymore of anything. Plus you get the problem of marking your flywheel for the 2nd cylinder so as you can time it....believe me..I've been there. Stick with the single point ..it's a lot easier to time.
Ever wondered why there are so many dual point breakers around? Haggis.
kell

Post by kell »

The one and only reason I can see to run dual points is to fire the cylinders separately. I mean you could use one coil and tie the two points together electrically but why do that when you have so much headache with the ancillary timing issues. So in answer to your question you don't HAVE to use two coils but it's the only way that makes sense.
shaker

Post by shaker »

Yea guess i will just stay with what i got, you know what they say. if it aint' broke! I need to put a bunch of these old parts on e-bay so i will quit lookin at'em.. shaker
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Since we are throwing out opinions....
The dual point ignition was the finest that HD ever produced until modern times.

They only went back to the deadspark because it made it simpler (cheaper) to engineer the autoadvance for the electric foot. And they took two production years to get that close to 'right'.

Single fire systems are superior in many ways. (For an explanation, just check out the hype for any of the singlefire systems that are commercially available.)
I fell in love with the dual point circuitbreaker the first time I dialed one in, and heard its distinct exhaust note:
The best description I can come up with is "crisp".
shaker

Post by shaker »

Cotten, will this work with one single12v coil, i think i can time the back set of points without the mark on the flywheel. shaker
Jonderson
Inactive member

Post by Jonderson »

Cotten is right (again) ;D about the dual point systems. Even (especially?) on the 6v systems running dual is sweet.
One reason folks switched from dual points on the 61-64 era bikes was because of the coils, and not because of the timing or firing issues. I don't believe anyone ever even remanufactured the 63 coils until just the last couple years.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Shaker!

Two sets of points demands two coils, unless someone with e-lek-troniks knowledge can show us how.

And to add to what Jonderson said about the availability of coils, a LOT of dual-point systems were ditched for common single point distributors because timing them exceeded the patience of shadetree wrenchers. You not only had to read the manual, but the system got a bad reputation early because the Factory forgot to mark the flywheels for about the first half-year of production.

Return to “Ignition”