Summer plugs

All ignition related articles
haggis
Bikes: *

Summer plugs

Post by haggis »

anyone using anything different re plugs this summer. Haggis.
57Kicker
Bikes: -

Re: Summer plugs

Post by 57Kicker »

I ran with ACCEL's 137 and 138 last year in my '57FLH. Not sure of the difference but am thinking of trying CHAMPION's to see if it helps with the reliability factor for starting. :-/
Used "HARLEY" plugs for about a week and they quit working all together > Won't make that mistake twice!
What does every one run for plugs? A list of year, model and plug type would be useful don't ya think?
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

I've tried Accels and Champions. No difference in starting. >
57stroker
Inactive member
Bikes: '57

Post by 57stroker »

I've tried almost all of them. This is what I use: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/apps/motor ... 9&type=reg
Rainjester

Post by Rainjester »

I went through 3 sets of HD 3-4 within a couple of months and thought maybe it was my bike that was causing them to go bad so quickly.
I just ordered the NGKs that was recommended here. I'll let ya know how it goes with these plugs!

jester-
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Beware that NGK has a bad habit of converting their plug to resistor designs without changing their model numbers. (If anyone has a e-leck-tron-ik ignition on their Flatty of Knuck, I have three boxes of NGK A-6s that I'll sell real cheap!
A resistor plug on a points ignition will certainly affect starting. And running.
Otherwise, a clean plug is a clean plug.
Fast Ed 53
Inactive member

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

I'm running accel 137's. So far easy starting and no problems, look's like the front cyl. is running a littlr rich. I guess it run's a little cooler. Ed
Rainjester

Post by Rainjester »

Cotten!

I went and double-checked on that. You're right, the model numbers of the NGKs look the same but the part numbers are different. You can order either Standard or Resister types.
Stock number 2298 are the Standard type of plugs.

jester-
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

FastEd!

When all things are as correct as possible, the front cylinder is the hotter one.
Ever notice the extra finnage?
I must repeat my mantra: pressuretest your manifold!
Fast Ed 53
Inactive member

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

Thank's cotten, I'll work on that this weekend. Ed
weezeo
Inactive member

Post by weezeo »

here is a list I have been keeping for X reference on plugs & Champion J-12y's this is different posts from different scources.....
"GOOD REFERENCE ON SPARK PLUGS FOR PRE 70 BIG TWINS ONLY; CROSS REFERENCE FOR CHAMPIONS J12Y(J18yc) =
Autolites 75, NGK 3332, BOSCH 7516, Autolites Platinum AR85, SuperPlug WR9FC, Delco RapidFires #7, NGK Platinum #XR5VX, ACDelco 41833, Hotter Plugs in (parenthises) these were given to me by mechanic for x ref on j12yc for non-resistor/electronic ign. just rule of thumb
Always ask for X ref on 283/327 chevy plugs on pre 1970 Ignitions...Generator Bottom Motors with standard Distributor"

Return to “Ignition”