Mallory unilite

All ignition related articles
panomania
Inactive member

Mallory unilite

Post by panomania »

Description: I have purchased a mallory unilite distributor and am still having some minor problems.

I have purchased a mallory unilite distributor and am still having some minor problems. If I set my timing with a strobe light the engine still kind of acts like its too retarded at idle. (or just off idle). Sometimes it will hiccup when pulling off from a busy intersection and kill the engine. I think my ignition curve may be to broad. I can reduce my timing by adjusting the advance tabs on this distributor and if Im thinking correctly, set my advance timing with a strobe again so that the timing at idle would be greater than it was before. Does this sound like a good way to remedy my problem? If I set my timing for good idle and low end, it seems to ping some when engine is hot. (does good with cold motor) Ive check all the obvious. Thanks.
dirtpandan58
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Mallory unilite

Post by dirtpandan58 »

Did you ever get your timing set right?
I just put a mallory unilite ignition on my pan along with the correct coil and an s&s carb..
The reason I put them on is because I had the heads off and thought if I was going to put that stuff on that was the time to do it.( been thinkin' about it for a while anyway)
The reason I had the heads off was to have o-ring adapters welded in. I did that to try to eliminate intake leaks. The bike was only idling on the front cylinder. I put it all back together and it ran the same way. Maybe a little stronger because the changes.
Took it to a shop and they did a leakdown test. Had a bent valve and scored cylinder. New valve, cleaned up cylinder,all back together. Still lazy rear cylinder when warmed up. Found a crack by the sparkplug hole that comes from that common crack between the valve and the plug hole and doesn't usually go anywhere. Also cracked the steel sparkplug insert.
Gonna fix that and hopefully pick it up on monday.
Sorry about the whole long story.
The reason I asked about the timing is,when I get it back I want to know what to expect if the timing doesn't seem right.
So please,do tell. Did ya fix it?
Thanks,
Dirt
panomania
Inactive member

Post by panomania »

Well, you can buy a curve kit for about 30 bucks for one of these distributors, but I closed the advance gap and bent the post that hold the springs to make them tighter and provide a slower advance. Mallory gave me some measurements for the total advance. Instead of buying those keys to adjust the amount of total advance, they gave me the distances in drill bit sizes. example... for 14 degrees total advance, use a .128 drill bit. 16 degrees, use .147. 18 degrees, use .162 and for 20 degrees (wich is how it comes from mallory), use .182 drill bit. These numbers came from mallorys tech support. Right now mine is set for 15 degrees total advance because of my drill bit selection.
I would take my bike to a shop for repair but they would spend hours checking the same stuff that I have checked. And besides that, Most of the pan experts down here in Alabama wouldn't want to ride my bike. Drum brakes, suiside clutch and jockey shift. And besides that its hell to crank. But hey, I tell my buddies that have been trying to get me to sell my bike, that I'd rather push my pan head than have to ride theres. Thats not true, I love all motorcycles but its fun to say.
Talk to you soon...
kell

Post by kell »

You can set the advance timing on the Mallory without a timing light. Just wedge something (a folded up postcard or pecil eraser etc.) into the slot under the spring post, the one that opens up when the plate rotates to advance position. Then time it with 12 v bulb in place of the coil or however you like to do it. No more oil in your face, and you don't have to worry about whether it's really revving high enough to give you full advance. I run a Mallory, reliable, but would like something that fires at lower voltage. You can easy find a circuit element that run on a voltage range 3.8 to 24 volts. Anyway hall effect units. And optical stuff, like Mallory runs, generally have lower temperature ratings and aren't heavy duty. But mechanically, it's easier to put together an optical breaker, the gap can be bigger.
dirtpandan58
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by dirtpandan58 »

What is the lowest voltage that this thing will work with?
How does it act,does it just quit or run bad for a while or what?
panomania
Inactive member

Post by panomania »

Mine would act like the plugs were fouling and then just shut off. I did try stuffing cardboard in the advance hole and static timing it but it still seemed to be retarded. My best luck has been fiddling with it untill it runs best.
75shovelboy
Former member

Post by 75shovelboy »

|
|
|
V

Lets refer to my signature , As Panomania 's son and I were witness to a very intriguing and mesmerizing blue flames of quietus coming from Panomania's bike last night, and then of course the peaceful and calm sitting on the side of rode as our hero was gathering the chariot to take her home. ;D
But hopefully his discovery of what seems to be a faulty unit will fix his timing prob and we will once again travel the roads awaiting for our next roadside adventure!!!
Note to self*
Remember to wear warmer clothes!@! :-/
dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Post by dirtydistrict »

Mallory weren't on the market when i changed for semi electronic ignition. I bought a Dyna single fire unit for Shovel, reduced the plate outside diameter to fit in my automatic distributor, unscrew the central 'trigger' and replace it with the magnetic unit. Before doing this i 've checked for any wear in the two weights GREASE THEM and changed the spring for secure. I static timed it then strobe and didn't have to touch it since. I didn't had any trouble and it works really well. Sorry, there is no solution for your trouble here ( don't know the way mallory works), just another way to do.
kell

Post by kell »

Dirtydistrict what year is your distributor? I assume it has mechanical advance from what you said. Did it have single or dual points? I am interested in modifying my old breaker unit, is why I'm asking.
panomania
Inactive member

Post by panomania »

O.K. I now know why Ive been having timing issues. Last night I found myself stranded again. The roll pin that keeps the gear on the bottom of my dist. had came off, but before I realized what had happened, I noticed that although my gear was tight enough to fire without a roll pin, it would turn slowly enough to mess up my timing without just breaking at once. Last night it broke!
I havent taken the cam cover off yet to look for the roll pin. I hope its still there and not ground up in my oil pump or something. Note: this distributor is only 2 weeks old. It may pay to check before install. see ya
dirtydistrict
Bikes: 2010 road king at the moment. Won't last long

Post by dirtydistrict »

Kell, my distributor is not an original Harley part but one you could find as replacement to manual advance (use with shovel type single point). It works with mechanical advance; the "dirty district dyna conversion" allows keeping stock 12v coil as it is Hall effect
panomania
Inactive member

Post by panomania »

Found the roll pin... Tore out the keys in the oil pump.
(mallory >Sad : :( )

Return to “Ignition”