Timing and pipe swap

All ignition related articles
haggis
Bikes: *

Timing and pipe swap

Post by haggis »

Hi Guys,
Is it possible to time my 50el with an old set of shotguns on, then when done, swap them out for my new set of upsweep fishtails?
(This will be my first attempt at timing a dual point pan and I dont want to *uck up my new pipes). Is this a common practice or not.
By the way finaly got my copy of Clymers...Yahoo!!! sure makes life a lot easier!!

Haggis.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: Timing and pipe swap

Post by Cotten »

Why would you think the pipes affect the ignition timing? I knew Clymer manuals were gawd-awful, but it would be a real surprise if they wrote something that bizarre.

Note that changes in timeing affect your carburation, so be prepared to readjust. An over-rich mixture will only overheat pipes if the timing is retarded, but a lean mixture can cook things quick at any setting.

You will have the best luck if you static-time it to start, and then use a strobe to fine adjust both sets of points to their respective cylinders. If your pipes turn after that, you may very well have an intake leak. It would be best to pressure test your manifold before the switch, if you want to preserve your investment in chrome.
haggis
Bikes: *

Re: Timing and pipe swap

Post by haggis »

Hi Cotten,
thanks for the info,
Iwas thinking more about the effect the shotguns would have on the carb settings (linkert) if any. after I time it and then swap them out.
Also ,could you explain the pressure testing of the manifold to me, thanks Haggis

Return to “Ignition”