dual plugs and External Oilers

All ignition related articles
55FL
Bikes: '55 fl

dual plugs and External Oilers

Post by 55FL »

I'm considering both of the above.
Since I have STD heads from Accurate Eng there is a boss area for both of these options to be machined.

Any thoughts on the benefits or drawbacks of dual plugging ?

In addition, any insights or comments re external oiling using the stock 63-65 path through the rh side of the head vs the system used by Perry @ FLO where he plumbs into the lh side near the intake manifold ?

Tapping into the cam cover, similar to the Knucklehead cover, or off the oil pump to supply the oil ?

John
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

John,

I have both dual plugs and the outside oil lines. Mine are modified '55 H-D castings.

Dual plugging will allow you to run with less advance (less ping) and will give you a really good complete burn. On the other hand, it doesn't look stock (probably not important since you have STD heads anyway) and it requires at the very least an extra coil. When I dual plugged my heads I also switched to an electronic ignition module.

I like the external oil lines as well. My heads were modified by Perry (FloHeadworks) and the oil lines enter on the rh side of the heads. If you saw heads with lines on the lh side, they were probably oil return lines. Or maybe they have to go on the lh side on STD heads?

Here is a photo of where Perry locates the external ol lines (carb and intake removed and easy to see)...
DCP_3248.jpg
DCP_3248.jpg (145.46 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
I tapped into the oil pump sending unit hole for top end oil supply. I think tapping into the cam cover looks cleaner. One day I'll fix that on my bike.

-Craig
57pan
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by 57pan »

caschnd1 wrote:I think tapping into the cam cover looks cleaner. One day I'll fix that on my bike.
You mean after another 30k miles and it's time to tear it down again?? :D

Post by Guest »

57pan wrote:
caschnd1 wrote:I think tapping into the cam cover looks cleaner. One day I'll fix that on my bike.
You mean after another 30k miles and it's time to tear it down again?? :D
LOL... Yeah Dave... I should have done it this summer when I had the bike torn down. Now that it's back on the road I can't bring myself to start messing with things again. :lol:

Return to “Ignition”