is my timing out?

All ignition related articles
reaper55
Bikes: 1955 panhead

is my timing out?

Post by reaper55 »

ok a little about the bike it is a 93 inch pan super e carb Mallory a556 distributor 3.5 dual fire coil plugs @.035. the bike starts and runs great when I use the e starter but cant get it to start with the kicker. now one thing I noticed is that when static time it with slot in center of the hole my front intake pushrod is still tight. I have go about 10 degrees more on the crank to be able to spin the rod with my finger. I am a little confused with this. thought it was timing slot in center of hole and spin pushrod at the same time. any insight would be great oh ya it has Andrews b and solid lifers
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Re: is my timing out?

Post by awander »

Stock flywheels, timing slot should be at the rear of the hole.
Excalibur
Bikes: '61 Pan
'83 FXWG
'74 T150
'41 Indian, '29Norton
'25 HD
'13 JAP
'12 BSA,
'11&'12 NH
'08 Triumph

Re: is my timing out?

Post by Excalibur »

reaper55 wrote:ok a little about the bike it is a 93 inch pan super e carb Mallory a556 distributor 3.5 dual fire coil plugs @.035. the bike starts and runs great when I use the e starter but cant get it to start with the kicker. now one thing I noticed is that when static time it with slot in center of the hole my front intake pushrod is still tight. I have go about 10 degrees more on the crank to be able to spin the rod with my finger. I am a little confused with this. thought it was timing slot in center of hole and spin pushrod at the same time. any insight would be great oh ya it has Andrews b and solid lifers
Sounds like you are not on compression stroke for front cylinder. Rotate crank 360°. See if that sorts it.

Return to “Ignition”