Thoughts or experiences with Ebyond 2000

All ignition related articles
58demon
Bikes: 1958 FLH Duo-glide, 1993 FXSTS restored

Thoughts or experiences with Ebyond 2000

Post by 58demon »

I have been looking at and researching this product in the hope it will alleviate some of the kick starting pain on my 58 FLH. Like every old bike mine gets "temperamental" at times and with nerve damage in my back and neck it just about kills me. I have spoken with people who have installed this and swear by it insisting they now own 1 kick bikes regardless of the climate, some running linkert and others running S&S. I value the opinions of the members on this site and their vast experience which has been invaluable in the restoration of my Pan. I have gotten to the point where I have been contemplating selling my pan, which I really do not want to do regardless of what the doctors say.

Any input or experience with Ebyond 2000 would be appreciated.

http://www.ebeyond2000.net/quickstart.html

Joe

In advance it is normally an easy starting bike but there are times just like my ex where she just wants to be continuously be kicked to get started. :D
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Re: Thoughts or experiences with Ebyond 2000

Post by panhead »

I have this ignition module from v-tronic for years now: http://www.v-tronic.com/products/ignition-module/
They also have an auto advance ignition.
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

I run it on my 59 Pan since 2006. Works great.
Mark44
Bikes: 1945 UL
1947 EL
1948-ish Pan
1991 FXLR
2007 FXDB Street Bob

Post by Mark44 »

I've had the eBeyond ignition on my 48-ish Pan for the past 3 or 4 years, with absolutely no problems.
58demon

Post by 58demon »

Thank you gentlemen for the responses I guess it is between the v-tronic and Ebeyond..

Joe V
Little Stan
Bikes: 1958 FL 1997FXD

Post by Little Stan »

I'm running a Ebeyond Ignition on my '58 Pan and it does seem to start better, idle better and over all general performance is better. One problem I had with it is the timing marks were a little off but I used a timing light to do the final setting. I'm running full advanced with the timing mark towards the rear of the hole. I always retard the ignition slightly when starting hot or cold with a M74b Linkert. Plugs are set at .032" gap, charging system is 12volt with a Dyna S 3ohm coil, plug leads are carbon core.

One thing though as most of us already know - electronic ignitions work very well or they don't work at all. Points and condensers are cheap, easy to carry. The most burned up points can almost always be cleaned up enough to get you home. A fried electronic ignition will leave you stranded. One good direct short can kill an electronic ignition.

-'lil stan
bangkokbob
Bikes: 94FLSTN
63FLH

Post by bangkokbob »

Hi Joe. E beyond also make the singlefire setup for $100 more.
Are you running 6 or 12 volt ignition ?
Might make coils harder to get if 6 volt.
Regards B.B.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

58demon---The 2000 I 1st. ran into /it was left on my toolbox the night before/Looking it over it obviously was a elec./ig. piece.I pulled my points & installed it on my pan & I got nothing/Further research told me to switch the wires/After that it ran /but poorly!--That was 5yrs. ago//since I have installed 4 NEW ones out of box with no hasstles!//The good part is you can go back to points on the side of the road!/if you burn it out.The olny part I didnt like was (in the instructions it said if the pick-up fits sloppy on the pointscam ,to build it up with tape to take-up some clearence/then press it on.IT Worked!/But everyone that I know that uses one Loves it!.Its best to use a 3=ohm coil with it!/But a 4=ohm will work just fine according to manufacturer.I always had my customers opt for the Dyna/3=ohm coil.If your kicker leg is really getting to that point /Remember that theres also the (RSES)-electric foot kit.YES its pricy!!!!/But comes with everything you need!//I know /it sucks to not kick a bike that belongs with a kicker//but if age or injurt gets in the wat & IT WILL on all of us/Its a good route to go.--Good-Luck----Richie
58demon

Post by 58demon »

First thanks for all the input on this post and in the PM's, as always the input was invaluable and extremely helpful.

Installed the Ebeyond 2000 Monday morning (http://www.ebeyond2000.net/) and my old girl has become a 1 kick Pan once again, hot or cold with a noticeable improvement in overall performance.I Highly recommend the install, a couple of local old boys who swore by points and lended their input in attempts to solve my starting problem have ordered it after seeing first hand its performance. :wink:

Thanks again.

Joe

Return to “Ignition”