Fixing the timing in place on 51 Panhead

All ignition related articles
jamiefixit
Bikes: 51 Pan. 72 Econoline.

Fixing the timing in place on 51 Panhead

Post by jamiefixit »

Hey guys, could use some suggestions. I've got a 51 Panhead with manual advance and retard and no cable set up, just done by hand. I am installing the W&W electronic ignition at present and want to be able to semi-permanently fix the position of the points plate once it's dialled in. Anyone got any simple solutions to this. I am currently contemplating drilling a hole through the timing cover outer housing and welding a nut in place so that I can put a bolt through it to pinch in the inner timing base plate, but wondered if there was anything more elegant and less of a bodge, without welding...

Thanks, Jamie.
Casaba
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 2014 triumph tiger explorer
1976 FXE 93" stroker
1953 FL
1960 FL
1958 45” frankenbike

Re: Fixing the timing in place on 51 Panhead

Post by Casaba »

how about a small hole in the side through the plate and then use a small aluminum rivet or even a small sheet metal screw? Not sure if you would have room to clear
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Lots of guys use a short spring hooked on the advance stud to hold the timer fully advanced.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

So.... Are you saying that the electronic ignition module will retard the spark for starting?
Do you set the timing for full advance and the module does the rest?
If so, Mikes suggestion will do the trick, clean and simple. A spring connected to one of the relay bracket screws is also very popular.
I did a Google search for the w&w ignition so I could read up on it. I've never heard of it, and I didn't find it by Googling it.
Do you have instructions for it ?
jamiefixit

Post by jamiefixit »

W&W badge their own, they have simple electonic points for manual advance and auto advance with a bunch of different ignition curve settings. It all fits neatly in the existing housing but you need to time it to full advance and it works out everything from there. At key moments however, it says useful things like, refer to your workshop manual to do this... So I need to find the full advance point on the electronic system and then be able to lock the whole thing in place... though the internals are different so full advance point is probably in a different place... I think the idea of fiddling with everything on the advance stud and then making that point full advance, then trying to find somewhere to hang a spring, might work also...

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks guys, J.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Jamie---This sounds pretty much like the IG.-KELL built for me & few guys.The way you are describing it -it sounds as if you use the points-(keep them in)-& there olny used to trigger a loaded coil!---If im right ,They work real nice ,you never need to buy points! again.,& with a 3-ohm coil you will get most performance from it!--If it says in the instructions That Your stock coil is fine ,Or use a 5-ohm.Then Kell went light-years ahead of them with his Heat-sing & I believe its called ositrigger chip?-(not sure its been a few yrs.But if you remove the points & cond. completely Then your going to straight-up electronic ig. with pre-programmed curves!--If thats the unit then Wires ,coil & plugs must be changed out to Resister type!.The system you purchased ,should have a LED that lights-up & thats where you lock in.The curves are changed by key,7-10 curves to choose from.I to never heard of WW!/but electronic is electronic.& a poits triggered system works differently,As you adv. manually-JUST LIKE STOCK.If you can show a pic. Then all the guys will know what ya playing with for better running.----Respectfully---Richie
jamiefixit

Post by jamiefixit »

Hey thanks. The points kits are here: http://www.wwag.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/ ... e=%2179654" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It has a couple of LED's and the nice thing is no-one can see it's there...

W&W I thought was US co, but European stuff comes from Germany...
socalrider
Bikes: 1963 pankenstein ; 1965 flh ; 1978 shovelhead lowrider

Post by socalrider »

Germans make quality products.
Arnulfo
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

Jamie----That looks like a good Electronic set-up!--To install properly--pull the plugs & timing hole nut.As front piston pushrod starts to close ,put bike in gear /floorjack the rear up & slowly Bump the rear tire forward.This will take-up any lash & just when you see the slash mark in the hole/PUT IT IN THE MIDDLE.Install your IG. according to what they say to use!--no doubt it will be Resister plugs ,& radio suppression wires!-(exactly the opposite of point IG.)--If they say a 4-OHM coil is OK to use Then you can start her after the TIMING LED DIP-SWITCH is on & LED lights-up--LOCK IT IN.You mentioned other leds & dip-SW.1-will be for RPM setting so you don't over rev her!,-The others will be for Factory curve-(which if its a stock mill it will run best!/If your cammed-up /You need to stopwatch the bike for clock-chasing.That same curve led works on how many blinks you give it if im correct by the look of it/But Im guessing!.If the IG. curves work by blink GREEN LED is FACTORY CURVE!--After that IF not keyed / then its count the blinks & look at paper to see where or what curve I should say your on.I have installed a couple blind & that's what I found about them!---& you can light-off by hand if your comp.-is stock!--They do start easier ,but I think its just masking another problem!/ Anyway Make-sure your battery & charging is up to the task!-They love ELECTRICITY!.10-volts on a 12-V bike will start all day long WITH POINTS!--ELEC.-IG> LOVE the juice!/& Im with Arnulfo the Germans MAKE good stuff!.GOOD LUCK----Respectfully---RICHIE---PS,they might say a 3-ohm coil will give best performance!
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Germans make quality products
True, but this is made in Holland or Belgium :)
dontsink
Bikes: 1957 FL, Vespa PX200

Post by dontsink »

Absolutely true, these guys make the module: http://www.v-tronic.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and here the manuals can be downloaded.
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

PANHEAD!---Didn't MEAN to leave HOLLAND out!/or BELGIUM!--Ive been thru Europe 2X!--Fist stop was COPENHAGEN DENMARK!/Rode thru Germany ,Poland--(I have LOTS of relatives in Poland).Austria,Chek-Republic.All by renting a bike when we coild!!!!-The rest was Pay-offs & hitch-hiking.I think EUROPE is the FUTURE as far as MEDICINE is concerned!--(USA /WE are the DUMMIES in that dept.!)-Anyway I have been to to Amsterdam 1-more time after that in 1996/After I shut down (FASTLANE MOTORWERKS).I needed some Europe relaxation.Also had my ,well some of my cousins meet me in Holland!.Your very LUCKY to be able to live in such a HISTORIC & Beautiful place!---The RIDING is THE BEST on the Planet If you ask me!.Back in 96 The accountants got thiers & Had enuff to buy a saltbox Zoned for animals With cash!--No Lawyers!.It makes life just way easier!.So To crate the 2-bikes & worry whats smashing into them ,We rented some 2-speed -2-stroke 1-lungers (KOMAREC)-was the make .So they climbed offroad & small creeks no problem.Im babbling AGAIN!----RESPECTFULLY-as Always --Richie 8)

Return to “Ignition”