Sparkplug Wires?

All ignition related articles
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Sparkplug Wires?

Post by 58flh »

Morning Gentlemen/----Recently I went to NAPPA & wanted to buy a SPOOL of copper-wires for spark-plugs.NAPPA does no longer carry the Beldons I use to get.Can anybody steer me in the right direction for Simple all COPPER wires?---All help appreciated!---Somebody said a Tractor repair & parts shop/It sounds possible,but just do not know.-----Thank-You-----RICHIE :?:
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Re: Sparkplug Wires?

Post by old.wrench »

Richie,
If you are looking for a spool or long lengths and decent quality you might try a specialty outfit like Rhode Island Wiring. They sell the stranded copper conductor plug wire; you can even pick your choice of jacket material and color if you want something other than black or blue. I used to buy the Belden stuff by the foot from NAPA too, but the last time I went there all they had was a "universal plug wire kit".

Geo.
Lowbikemike
Bikes: 1962 FL
1987 FXSTC
1995 FLHR

Post by Lowbikemike »

You might also try a older lawnmower shop. I have found that they typically have a spool they are no longer using.
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

There is plenty of copper core spark plug wire on e-bay.

Jim M
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Richie,

http://www.thehotrodcompany.com/shopnow ... p&first=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parts-Unlimited ... 4897.l4275" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

GUYS-----I thank YOU ALL!-----Thats what they offered me in nappa also!-(universal kit).Theres a small mower & tracter shop not to far from me /I know they use copper core wires.-Just hope I can get a atleast a half spool,But The lengths & Jacket type is NICE to!---All GREAT STUFF to hunt today!---Ill let you know what I turn up!---Respectfully----Richie---Thanks Guys!.
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

Morning Guys!---Well I took Mikes suggestion & stopped at this Lawnmower ,Snowmobile shop by me/& to my luck -I scored a little over a 1/4 spool 7mm--Black copper Plug-wire/-Also purchased 20-Copper connecters/-I have all the boots Ill ever need!---So The Spool was FREE!/He said everything is suppression type Elec.-IG.---I paid $ 20 for 20 copperwire connectors!.Were good for a couple yrs.--Thanks MIKE!--& George I looked it up & I think that will be a GOOD PLACE for all connectors Diff. size COPPER-CORE wires / in an array of colors if needed.They have BOOTS & All Copper connectors to.-Thanks GEORGE 8) ----RICHIE
james
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

Here's one for ya, what is the correct length of the front and rear plug wire? Just the wire.

Jim M
1962FLH
Bikes: 1945EL project
1962FLH
1974FLH

Post by 1962FLH »

James
I never put a ruler to the wire however I cut to fit the front and make the rear wire the same length to have equal resistance on fire to each plug. Resistance is not so much an issue with a single fire setup.
John
james
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

Roger that John.

Jim M
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

I really can't imagine that the difference in length between the front and rear plug wires would make any difference at all to the running of the engine.

And what do you do with all that extra length on the rear one?
old.wrench
Bikes: '54 FL and a mini-bike

Post by old.wrench »

awander wrote:I really can't imagine that the difference in length between the front and rear plug wires would make any difference at all to the running of the engine.

And what do you do with all that extra length on the rear one?
I have to agree with Andy on this.

Regarding copper core plug wires:
Seems to me that an argument for equal length wires would be getting into theoretical territory.
After all, we're talking about a difference of what - maybe one foot?
Wouldn't the only difference between two unequal length but otherwise identical plug wires be measured in just a relatively small amount of resistance?
Past experience tells me that although the difference may look somewhat impressive on paper, in the real world there is no discernible difference.

Geo.
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

I was waiting to see if Andy would say something!--I can tell you my wires are 7mm,The rear just the wire is 6-inches without the boots.My front is 10 without boots.I have read & dabbled a little on electronic ig. & he would put resisters on the shorts on a 4cyl.KZ Dragbike.Something about melting the Forged slugs when he hits the nitrous 1/2 way down the 1/4.Suposodly I understand it that it keeps all the sparks equal, as they can get very Nice & up heat-range.Andy what are your thoughts on that??---& my plugs spark is the same/Looking at it The crack sound the same to.----Richie

Return to “Ignition”