Dual point dizzy coil(s)????

All ignition related articles
chopped850
Bikes: 1962 FL

Dual point dizzy coil(s)????

Post by chopped850 »

Greetings gearheads, I haven't posted in a long time because the bike was running good. Last year I struggled with the cold starting. I actually fried a wire on the coil and went ahead and installed an Accell dual coil kit wired to my Mallory dizzy attached to the dual plugged STD heads. Due to work and the weather last summer I didn't get to ride her much. But when I had time she was a real beotch to start cold. One kick bike when warm and running. I have a dual point dizzy on loan and plan on installing it and see if it starts easier cold. But my issue is on what coil or coils do I need to run the dual points. I know 5 ohm coil(s) are what I need but wanna know what ya'll are running on your dual point bikes. Thanks
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Dual point dizzy coil(s)????

Post by 58flh »

I have dual DYNA-5ohm coils /COPPER plug wires.& each set of points has its own coil to fir when its time!.Im running a slightly modified OEM singlefire set-up.If you are running the Electronic IG. Singlefire set-up with 2-coils (THAT is correct!)-ALSO they have a singlefire coil that you use olny the 1-coil for singlefire.You already know but ACCEL is junk!-From their plugs to whatever you buy!.Dont get me wrong Your bike will run great!!//Sadly not for long.Remember that electronic siglefire drop-ins or even Mallory timers -WHEN starting bike they are in DUAL-FIRE MODE!.once its started they immiadetly switch to single-fire.If your bike started fine & progressively got worse//I would not suspect the IG. Sounds more like a VACUMM-LEAK!---This must be checked OFTEN!-if your pans the olny mode of transportation!.-I check once a month-RELIGIOUSLY!--Sometimes its good & sometines I find a bubble -& a simple turn on the clamp & all is well.Once you get use to checking it /its second nature & you can do it less then a 1/2-hour!.---Hope this helps---Respectfully---RICHIE
chopped850

Post by chopped850 »

Thanks for the response RICHIE. I have talked it over with a few people and I'm gonna trade the daul dizzy for a single dizzy and run a single 5 ohm coil. Then I'll mount it up like it's supposed to be and do the rest of the checking. Ie carb cleaning, air leak around the intake ports and set the valves. I'll report back soon.
chopped850

Post by chopped850 »

So the work has begun. Obtained a fresh panhead timer, got her dropped in the engine and set to what I have read from the forums. My question is how tight is the top supposed to be? It was a pain in the ass to get the wafer clip installed under the mid section with the cap hold down clip. Turning the dizzy from retard to adv is not an easy task. I pulled it all apart a few different times and even applied a lil grease to help the parts slid with each other. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :lol:
Mark44
Bikes: 1945 UL
1947 EL
1948-ish Pan
1991 FXLR
2007 FXDB Street Bob

Post by Mark44 »

chopped850 wrote:So the work has begun. Obtained a fresh panhead timer, got her dropped in the engine and set to what I have read from the forums. My question is how tight is the top supposed to be? It was a pain in the ass to get the wafer clip installed under the mid section with the cap hold down clip. Turning the dizzy from retard to adv is not an easy task. I pulled it all apart a few different times and even applied a lil grease to help the parts slid with each other. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :lol:
How are you turning the timer -- by hand or by the control wire from the left handgrip? Ideally, the timer should be easy enough to turn without too much effort, but tight enough so that it stays in place.

I don't know if this applies in your situation, but my timer was stiff enough that to retard it, I had to reach down and turn it by hand. It turned out that the cable was being pinched between the frame and the engine guard. After I rerouted the time control cable, I could advance and retard the timer using the handgrip.
chopped850

Post by chopped850 »

Anyone looking for a panhead? *$^%@*&$@$^(*ing bike has struck my last nerve! :evil: I set the points gap and everything static. Tried starting her and my right quad is as big as my waist! I'd get a loud bang out the pipe and misty puffs out the carb throat. I have the air cleaner off right now. I have good spark to boot! I'm done messing with the bike for a while. I think I'll just push her into the corner and cover it up. :roll: I'll get ahold of my engine guy someday and he can take care of it. Thanks for all the input fella's I'll report back someday when she is finally running.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

put a new set of plugs in it an it will probably fire right up.

john
chopped850

Post by chopped850 »

Just wanna clarify the dizzy is turned away from the motor (retard) to start and then turned towards the motor (advance) correct?
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

chopped850 wrote:Just wanna clarify the dizzy is turned away from the motor (retard) to start and then turned towards the motor (advance) correct?
Nope. That's backwards. Counterclockwise to retard, clockwise to advance.
Retard the spark to start it, then rotate to full advance.
You may be a tooth off when you dropped in the new timer. You might want to double check that procedure.
Don't push it to the corner yet, you almost got it.
Gotnoclass
Bikes: 58FLH

Post by Gotnoclass »

You also may have placed it 180deg out like I did.
R for retard = away from the motor. Start then advance towards the motor.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

You also may have placed it 180 deg out like I did.
R for retard = away from the motor. Start then advance towards the motor.
I reached that point of frustration with mine a few weeks back too.
Ended up I was timing points to close on the wrong side of the timer lobe.
Even though we've done things hundreds of times before, we make mistakes.
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

???
Bigincher wrote:
chopped850 wrote:Just wanna clarify the dizzy is turned away from the motor (retard) to start and then turned towards the motor (advance) correct?
Nope. That's backwards. Counterclockwise to retard, clockwise to advance.
Retard the spark to start it, then rotate to full advance.
You may be a tooth off when you dropped in the new timer. You might want to double check that procedure.
Don't push it to the corner yet, you almost got it.
Gotnoclass
Bikes: 58FLH

Post by Gotnoclass »

awander wrote:???
I wondered about that as well...
Casaba
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 2014 triumph tiger explorer
1976 FXE 93" stroker
1953 FL
1960 FL
1958 45” frankenbike

Post by Casaba »

Also ???

That's a great way to end up with a concussion on the garage floor wondering what happened

(Or is the dual points dizzy different?)
kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett »

I'll make you all feel better about yourselves.......I just spent the better part of this evening trying to figure out why I couldn't swing the throttle lever around and connect the throttle cable into it. Early on my wife asked if the thingy (which means throttle lever) was put back on backward after some previous carb work........and I said no. But as you can already tell the thingy was on backward, just like my brain.

Patience, bi-focals, bright lights, plenty of time, anti-inflammatories, and patience (yes, I said it twice) are a must for this middle aged man.

Return to “Ignition”