Breaker, Breaker 19(48)

All ignition related articles
PainterRon
Bikes: 1981 shovelhead
1948 EL Panhead

Breaker, Breaker 19(48)

Post by PainterRon »

Got the bottom end sorted out, heads under control, gear case cased out..but I need to know what direction the breaker points point to with the timing mark at l. I want to situate it properly before I put the heads on..to avoid the heartbreak of not being able to get the distributor past the head in case I'm a tooth out or something. There are no marks on the auto advance distributor.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Breaker, Breaker 19(48)

Post by 58flh »

Follow the same routine for any breaker.You can hook-up a coil & get it 100% correct for later when its time--The points cam will be pointing in the 2:30-position when its in the correct spot.You will have to ADV. the timer by hand & drop it at full adv. --The points should just break at that point!.Looking at it from rightside of motor the points will be positioned to front of bike & cond. to rear.However if you have a DEGREE-WHEEL & can use it -Then its very simple!.In the K-base you will find it better put!--I have 2-in the garage now with auto-timers but I cant upload any pics. yet!-(Sorry)---Hope this helps some.Remember after front intake closes-then look for the slash!-(on an auto adv. timer -put the slash in the middle of window & use a light to adj. points to where they just break=(light-on).She will fire in -1-hot as long as all else is in order.------Respectfully---RICHIE
PainterRon
1948 EL Panhead

Post by PainterRon »

Thanks, Richie, the second question is, How do I tell if my auto advance distributor advances the right way? Rumour has it that some of the aftermarket rigs advance backwards...retard?
(or however you correctly state that). Namely they don't work...
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

RON--When its in the motor-The cam will turn clockwise---When you adv. the cam it will turn to the right-(clockwise-& the weights will be thrown outward!.In the K-base there is a good pic. of a helical-cut gear that drives the timer,Yours should be the same twist!---Respectfully & good-Luck on a nice Mill----RICHIE
PainterRon
1948 EL Panhead

Post by PainterRon »

Thanks, Richie, I looked in the knowledge base, I'll look again. I'm getting the drift...bit by bit.

Return to “Ignition”