Installing After Market Timer....contd.

All ignition related articles
panhandler
Bikes: 1963 FL mod

Installing After Market Timer....contd.

Post by panhandler »

This post is in addition to my previous diatribe installing a Taiwan auto advance timer in my 63 pan. So I would appreciate comments/help from those who have done it...it's been 20 years since I did the last one....I went with a brand new one instead of trying to fix the old one.

Here is my question.....I have lined up the front cylinder mark in the inspection hole and front cylinder is on compression stroke. When I am inserting the timer shaft into the deck, where should the points plate be positioned on the base of the timer: full advance? full retard? or in between. I know on the oem timers there were marks on the side of the base and plate that could be lined up, but these aftermkts don't have the marks.....thanks in advance

Keith
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Re: Installing After Market Timer....contd.

Post by 1951 adam »

I would set your advance mark up towards the back of the timing hole and set the timer where the points start to break at full advance.
Adam
panhandler

Post by panhandler »

Thanks Adam, I guess I'm not being clear on this. I'm talking about the plate that the points and condenser mount to. It is held to the timer base with two screws and rotates to allow advance and retard of the ignition. I am wondering how that should be positioned on the timer base when I install the timer stem into the crankcase....should it be swivelled full advance, full retard or halfway between? The positioning of this plate is critical because it lines up the points fibre with the cam lobe. Hope that is clearer as to what I'm looking for....
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Put the ADJ. in rhe middle of the slots. Then after its in --line in center of hole,ADV.rhe cam & set untill the light just goes on & lock it in.Fire-up & finish with a strobe if needed.---Respectfully---Richie
panhandler

Post by panhandler »

Ok,thanks Richie, that's what I was looking for...positioning of the points plate....makes sense but these pos's don't come with install instructions. The rest of the setup I have so here's hoping for the best.

Appreciate it.

Keith
Johnno
Bikes: 1924 F
1929 F
1930 V
1942 WLA
1946 FL
1949FL
1957FL
1968 FLH
1984 softail
1993 Sporty (Buell engine)

Post by Johnno »

Panhandler
I too installed an aftermarket timer, the one I purchased had that much play in the base plate that ever time I moved the plate I lost my correct points gap. Solved the problem by carefully tapping the body where it meets the plate to eliminate any free play. Never again will I go the so called cheap alternative much better value to purchase secondhand OEM & restore/ resurrect. Cheers Johnno
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

A sidenote on the cheap AFTERMARKET single-point auto adv. Timers!--Most if new need olny 1-thing A good points plate!--The ones that come with them are very thin & will throw your gap off as soon as you tighten it up!--That in turn makes your DWELL incorrect on both cyls.!--Naturally check for up & down-(.010 is good here BUT a sideways motion on the shaft IS NO GOOD!--YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO TIME WITH a STROBE IF SIDEWAYS PLAY IS THERE!.--This is easily fixed & should be checked everytime a timer is installed!--For the plate that holds the cond. & points -(I make my own)-BUT later model sportdter ones are thick & can be used!--Be sure to use light grease on all the pins & weights in there travel!--(LIGHTLY COAT!)--& you will have a timer thats fool-proof for yrs. to come!---RESPECTFULLY---RICHIE
panhandler

Post by panhandler »

thanks for the input guys.....I'm no stranger to these and in fact sold my original oem timer years ago in favor of an auto advance....hindsight is always 20/20. This timer is a bit different from the previous aftmrkt....it doesn't have a cam screw holding the assembly to the shaft, it has a grooved cam and uses an Eclip to secure everything. The points plate is also a lot thicker. There has been an ongoing flaw with the aftmrkts in that the little boys across the sea have the tapped hole for the cover on the engine side (there is only one way to install the timer with the offset base bolt holes) so that entails turning the cover tab around to the outside and screwing in a sheetmetal screw to hold everything on.

Have to yet fire everything up, taking my time a little everyday.

Keith

Return to “Ignition”