Dialing in the advance on a Mallory distributor.

All ignition related articles
zman
Bikes: 1950 FL, 1973 FLH

Dialing in the advance on a Mallory distributor.

Post by zman »

I've been running the Mallory electronic distributor successfully for several years now. And I want to set up the optimum curve for easy starts. I purchased the curve change kit ( you can buy one at Amazon or Summitt Racing) and it comes with various color coded advance springs and some numbered keys. I have the YH advance type distributor. Is there anyone out there who has this set up? I have a 1950 Pan with a couple of upgrades: 12 volts, S&S carb, J grind cam, STD heads. The instruction sheet is no help. It seems to be for a V8.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Dialing in the advance on a Mallory distributor.

Post by 1950Panhead »

And I want to set up the optimum curve for easy starts
All the springs will go to full retard when engine stops, starting will be the same with any spring.
Weak springs advance at lower rpm (engine running), stronger springs advance at higher rpm.
Jerry
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

1950PANHEAD is correct!---I have set-up a Mallory 1 or 3-times!---& First off Do the basics!--(full 12-V in battery)---Then the MOST IMPORTANT -the VACUUM-LEAK!.--There is no reason why that particular Malory-IG ,wont FIRE-up on first-Kick.--Once your-SURE of no VAC.-LEAKS!!!---Then on to the MALLORY!--It has been my EXP. that MIXING the springs / Works ALOT better then using --for EX.-(a medium & medium)-or (a stiff & stiff)-ETC.--I have had best performace--(streetwise)-using a LIGHT & MEDIUM-spring together! -On both sides!.---Also Be absolutely sure you have proper coil & PLUG-WIRES!--AUTOLITE PLUGS work well with the Electronic Mallory-Timer!---Forgot the number of the PLUGS!--But they are in the K_BASE!---Respectfully---RICHIE 8)
zman

Post by zman »

Thanks Ritchie, I've had her out a few times already this Spring and she runs fine but last night I did go through the basics. I put the battery on a trickle charge. The coil reads 3 ohms. The timing is spot on with a timing light. I checked for manifold leaks. As for spark plugs I'm running some new AC Delco R42's that were once for an old Sportster. And I pulled the advance springs and installed one light spring and one medium spring. ( One purple and one orange). As for the keys for adjusting the curve I'm starting with a number 20 (20 Degrees?). What number would you recommend to start at? Its been raining all morning. If the streets dry up this afternoon I'll get her out for a cruise.
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

I'm not familiar with that plug, but the ironhead plug is slightly too long for a panhead, and the last threads will become carbon-encrusted and difficult to remove.
When you say "starting with 20", where is the full advance set?
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

As Kitabel pointed out!---Electronic IG. are good -BUT everything has to be correct!--I would def. change to the correct plug,& as far as the curve,-Start with what was in it!--After you will need a buddy & stopwatch-(or a STEEP HILL! :lol: )--Try playing from there. From my EXP. with the Mallory--The Key thats in it usually works best for a street motor!---If you were to be running a Radical cam & maybe something other then gasoline!--I could see recurving it for a slower burn like alcohol??--(just an Example!)--but if you want & you have a set distance of road,-Then the stopwatch will be your friend!--Remember whatever you do gain/-which probably will be minimal!--IT WILL affect your Starting!---more like bumping most of the time--until shes hot!---Respectfully---RICHIE
zman

Post by zman »

Yo kitabel, What plug would you suggest? I have a coffee can full of different plugs. The bike came with split fire plugs but I can't find them anywhere. I read all the other posts on Mallory distributors. Someone pointed out that a setup bike can be a one kick start. I've owned my sled for 8 years and it never started first kick. The different key diameters 14-28, are for setting advance curve. Under the spring and weight plate is a slotted plate for setting ignition advance. It came set at 20, which is where is is now. The bike runs good. I can keep up with Evos and Twinkies. But I feel it can get better. If 3 guys are watching the bike takes 3 kicks. If 8 guys are watching,,, well you get the idea.
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

What is set at 20 - the initial advance, the curve, or the total?
H-D #3-4 or Champion J12Y.
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

Kitabel I dont want to answer for zman ,but I think its TOTAL after she opens-up!---Is that correct ZMAN?----Richie ZMAN as far as PLUGS get the AUTOLITE or ACs--in platinum.,-They work nice with ELECTRONIC-IG.--You will need 7mm-suppresion wires also!---(most important is a GOOD-SOLID 12-VOLT Supply!)-They use every bit of it!--& need it for a properly working IG. 8)
zman

Post by zman »

Yeah, I think you're right. A bigger slot allows the spring and weight plate to rotate more. And a smaller slot, only bit. So the amount of advance can be 0 degrees to 28 degrees. Whats got me scratching my head is that I thought Harley motors at full advance is 35 degrees BTDC. As for plugs, I have STD heads with long reach holes. The wires are 8mm suppression. And I have a premium glass mat battery. I found that anything less than 11.5 volts and the EI won't run right. A good battery is a must.
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

As for the std heads ,The plugs that Most guys use & also recommended are autolite 42???somthing!--Its in the K-Base!, cant think of it at the moment!---Also I remember cross-referencing that plug for a Platinum-plug to be used with an Electronic IG. as your running!----& def. your correct in the 12-Volt or better-(12.6?)--They operate best at 12-Volts +!---& they are greedy when it comes to powering them!--As you said you were at 11-Volts & felt something wasent right!--The AGM Batts. def. fit the bill!-& can handle the needs!.---Also I dont see why your having a problem at firing-up with 1-hot kick!--If your in time & no VAC.-LEAKS,-she should Fire-up!.Maybe you need to rethink your start-up procedure!---When I had the S&S-E on my pan it was pull-up the enrichment,-throttle closed, kick it over 2-3 times push enrichment valve down to halfway, IG.-on & bring-up to compresion stroke & 1-kick ON!.-upon start-up push enrichment valve OFF!--This was for november when 38-degrees or colder!---In summer I never used the enrichment valve!--3 twists ,2-dry-fires , bring-up to comp.-stroke, IG. ON & Light her up. Are you using the 1-inch phenolic spacer or the 1/4-inch one?---It does make a difference!--I found that the 1-inch works better!--I used the 1-inch on a S&S-B carb. also!-& had 1-hot kick firing also.----RICHIE
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

So the amount of advance can be 0 degrees to 28 degrees. Whats got me scratching my head is that I thought Harley motors at full advance is 35 degrees BTDC.
That is correct, however what you are missing is that full retard is NOT at TDC, but at 5-7 degrees before tdc. 7+28 makes up the total advance. If it was set at zero at TDC the engine won't run.
zman

Post by zman »

OK thanks guys. That clears things up. This weekend I,m getting new R42 plugs and a one inch phenolic spacer. I have a 1/4 inch spacer in it now. And I am just gonna try different keys till I get the one she likes best.

Return to “Ignition”