"Joe Hunt" Magnetos experience ...?

All ignition related articles
Michael_Germany_1956

"Joe Hunt" Magnetos experience ...?

Post by Michael_Germany_1956 »

Several years ago, I was very lucky to find such a magneto ignition, it fits Big-Twins from 1936 up to 1969.

The price was a lousy 75,- German Mark, at that time, a steal.

What is your very own experience with "Magnetos" on a 74", a "Joe Hunt", or a "Morris-Magneto"...?

Hunt: http://www.huntmagnetos.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Morris: http://www.morrismagneto.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks for your input...?

Regards

Michael

*Sorry for my very bad english.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

micheal

i had a mag on my '55 FL years ago, dumped it for a stock ignition.

hard to start unless the points and plugs are in perfect condition.

that's my experiance.

john
Michael_Germany_1956

Post by Michael_Germany_1956 »

Thanks, John!

I am not very safe, about "Iginition" for the elder HDs, I am not a "wrench", only the very common basics...

I have a "Joe Hunt Magneto" for sale, a very early model from the 1960s, PN me for this, "Elektrizität" on HDs is my personal horror.

Michael :cry:
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: "Joe Hunt" Magnetos experience ...?

Post by 58flh »

If your not getting spark--Then you may have a problem with the mag-coil.--If you pulled the mag out, you must reinstall on front cyl. Advance timing mark!---Look for the mark after the rear cyl reaches TDC. Then look into the hole & set that mark in center of hole!. Drop mag in & check it with the marks by rotating it both ADV. & RET.!--Points gap should be .015.--The above install is for a mag. without Auto-Advance!!!--If you have Auto ADV. disreguard the installation directions I gave.--Make sure your running Ac plugs-(shortreach)--Forgot # but the K-BASE will have it!. Check under IGNITION.--Also go over the connections & wires ,making sure nothing is grounding. Early Mags. needed a running boost to get started. So if it fired with kicker then you have a nice JH Mag. that will give long trouble-free service!--(Olny if you do your Maintenance!)--Check the auto ADV. on the mag. & make-sure it moves freely & no binding!--Put cover on & make sure it will advance-(freely & return freely).---Also put the old CONDENSOR back in & check for spark!--(I have seen a few bad ones right from the box). If the MAGNETS are GOOD & all is in order IT WILL SPARK!.--Use Copper core plug-wires-(dont-use Suppresion Wires).It would help if we knew if you are using the grip to retaed for starting,& Advancing!. Or just does it stay locked-down in 1-position. If it was checked & they said it was good--you should have-SPARK!--The olny thing I read is you changed the Points & Condensor!.--(try the old cond.)--If it sparks ,your problem is solved . If still no spark, I dont recomend this ,But anytime I see some mags at a swapmeet,I check them right there!--Put 2 fingers into the holes & 1 quick spin will give enuff to wake-you up!. :lol: .Good-LUCK---Richie

Return to “Ignition”