Distributor Wire

All ignition related articles
heath49036
Bikes: 1958 Panhead motor in a wishbone frame.

Distributor Wire

Post by heath49036 »

I need to replace the distributor wire on my 1958 panhead. How is the distributor dis-assembled? Do you have any diagrams? Thank you.

Heath
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Distributor Wire

Post by 58flh »

HEATH---CHECK the K-BASE,you will find it there in more ways than one!---If just something specific,PM ME--(58flh)--RICHIE 8)
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The wire to the timer attaches under the points plate/base of the unit. The base is held on by the wire bail which also holds the tension spring in place. With the bail rotated down to a horizontal position just pull it out of the side of the unit. Be sure and look at it carefully before doing so in order to understand how it goes back together. The C shaped tension spring has specific locations for the bail end and also its orientation on the base. Do not loosen the timing adjusting stud and you will not affect your timing.
Once the base is released it will slide up and off. Look at how the wire is attached and duplicate it. It is necessary to have the slack in it in order to rotate the timer correctly. There should also be a wire retainer threaded through the outer asphalt sheath that holds it in position in the hole.
Re-assemble in the opposite order.
As Richie said, look in the Knowledge base for similar posts as well as for a parts book breakdown of the assembly.
Good luck,
Robbie
hydra74
Moderator and Panhead Register Member
Bikes: 1943 WLC,1955 FL

Post by hydra74 »

When installing the circuit breaker I use a small mirror to see if the wire is in the correct position of the C shaped spring
Attachments
1-P1010292.JPG
1-P1010292.JPG (233.83 KiB) Viewed 677 times

Return to “Ignition”