Inactive member
Bikes: 1947 knucklehead chopper
1947 Indian Chief
1949 pan chopper
vl/pan 1963 FLH
indian 741 project

Panhead timing troubles

Post by dude63 »

Ok here is the deal. I have a 49 Pan with Morris mag and linkert that was running good. I have a 63 pan with same set up and was having a problem with the power on the 63 and took the mag out of the 49 to see if it was the coil and it was. I even swapped coils after I did the mag swap so I know it was the coil. So... I am trying to set both bikes back up and its not going good. The 49 flywheel marks are different than the 63. The 63 seems to have R line F line and a dot, The 49 has a line and a dot? On the 49 I thought you set narrow lobe about to open points on compression stroke and front cylinder just before tdc with the line mark on flywheel in inspect. hole? I have tried to set it up with the dot and the line or slash mark and I get nothing when the dot is in the hole and bad kickbacks with the line in the hole. There are no leaks and the linkerts are good to go I just can't seem to set up these mags. I had problems before but I guess I got lucky and had them set in the past. Before you tell me to get a distributer and a Bat I am not interested as I know this set up works well. Thanks guys!
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Panhead timing troubles

Post by 58flh »

DUDE63---If your getting kickbacks your in time but not retarded enuff!---What model mag is it? & are you using your grip for retarding the mag for starting?--If using grip for starting make sure it is in same spot as before!,Also Did you time it to the rear plug mark?--or on the front cyl. comp.-stroke?---Richie
dude63
Inactive member
1947 Indian Chief
1949 pan chopper
vl/pan 1963 FLH
indian 741 project

Post by dude63 »

58flh wrote:DUDE63---If your getting kickbacks your in time but not retarded enuff!---What model mag is it? & are you using your grip for retarding the mag for starting?--If using grip for starting make sure it is in same spot as before!,Also Did you time it to the rear plug mark?--or on the front cyl. comp.-stroke?---Richie

Both mags are old cast style Morris. Retarding by hand. Should the front piston be tdc or the rear when i set the points in advanced position with the lobe breaking the points? First the line shows up then the dot after. Just to make sure I understand when the line is in the hole the rear piston is tdc and when the dot is in the hole the front is tdc and the rear piston is on its way back down? I'm not very good at this but I refuse to give up. Thanks so much for getting back to me.
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

OK--bring the front cyl up on comp. stroke, you will see the line first!--continue to roll her over SLOWLY until you come to the second mark!--the rear cyl. will be up on its stroke.--Genter the second mark in the hole, if you didnt split the mag apart as to drop the base in first I see no reason you shouldnt be able to drop it in the hole just as the points are going to break on the NARROW-LOBE.--Lock it down & it should start in 1-2 kicks. The second mark in the hole is front cyl. adv. mark. I take it that your retarding by hand, so you should have no trouble getting it retarded enuff to start. Just make-sure you put the good coil back in & set points to .015 :lol: .----Good-Luck----Richie
DuoGlide62
Bikes: 1962 FL

Post by DuoGlide62 »

Some Duo-Glides have only one timing mark. Let the experts expound on this idea.
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

How did you put your last one in? Just curious-- I never had trouble with them!,--Just the OLD ones that needed a bump to get going! :wink: ,Remember those ol-hunts?---Richie
dude63
Inactive member
1947 Indian Chief
1949 pan chopper
vl/pan 1963 FLH
indian 741 project

Post by dude63 »

58flh wrote:How did you put your last one in? Just curious-- I never had trouble with them!,--Just the OLD ones that needed a bump to get going! :wink: ,Remember those ol-hunts?---Richie

I had the old joe hunt in and that's what had a bad coil. I bought a new coil for that and ended up getting another Morris like I have in the 49 so I put that in instead of the hunt. It seems to fit a little better and get more room to retard. I don't remember how I set them before it was the same thing problems and kicking until I got it rite. I don't know what I'm doing with these bikes I just keep trying till I get it. I wish I took notes. Timing and tuning is the hardest thing for me. Thanks Denis
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

Check this link, Reading the instructions is for quitters! but at times...
Just don't let the OL or your drinking buddies catch ya.

http://www.morrismagneto.com/instructions/74einst.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
58flh
Former member

Post by 58flh »

Dude63--Remember check for intake LEAKS!---That is such an overlooked & easy thing to check!,& it will keep you Kicking your ass off!--DEF. BUBBLE-TEST the intake!.--Cotton has a step by step how-to its called-(virtual indian)--You will find it Along with others in the knowledge-base!---Richie 8) Those instructions that HUCK sent ya to look at is exactly for your type of Mag!---GOOD LOOKIN out Huck! 8) ---Richie
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

DuoGlide62 wrote:Some Duo-Glides have only one timing mark. Let the experts expound on this idea.
61FLH7987 was the first motor to have two timing marks.

....Cotten
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

58flh wrote:Dude63--Remember check for intake LEAKS!---That is such an overlooked & easy thing to check!,& it will keep you Kicking your ass off!--DEF. BUBBLE-TEST the intake!.--Cotton has a step by step how-to its called.....
http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html and please test the pancover screw over each intake port as well.

.....Cotten
dude63
Inactive member
1947 Indian Chief
1949 pan chopper
vl/pan 1963 FLH
indian 741 project

Post by dude63 »

Ok guys I got the 49 set back up with the line in the middle of the hole. The 63 is not trying to start at all. I don't get a sound out of it. My plugs get wet my seat on the linkert works I get fuel, I put my little test plate on the manifold and have no leaks, the pipes are on good, I put the mag on the bench and tested it and get a blue spark. I have put the F with line in hole and nothing.. Put the dot in hole and nothing. It's really testing me now. In the past I always got a kickback or sounded like it was trying to fire even when it had a manifold leak or I was out of time I would get something but not now. Could there be something wrong other than mag and linkert? I have great compression, when I put my finger over the plug holes it blows my finger off strong just like the 49. At this point I'm just doing the same thing over and over I don't know what else to check. Thanks again for everyones help.
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan »

" I put the mag on the bench and tested it and get a blue spark"

Do you have spark at the plugs with the mag installed on the motor?
dude63
Inactive member
1947 Indian Chief
1949 pan chopper
vl/pan 1963 FLH
indian 741 project

Post by dude63 »

jdpan wrote:" I put the mag on the bench and tested it and get a blue spark"

Do you have spark at the plugs with the mag installed on the motor?
It doesn't look like it. I just checked and they shocked my hand but can't see a spark! When I tested the mag on the bench I put my drill on it to spin it and looks good. Why would it look good off of the bike and not good on it? Thanks Denis
jdpan
Bikes: 1952 Custom swingarm panhead

Post by jdpan »

Try grounding the plug instead of holding it in your hand... You may be shunting some of the juice through your hand and not the plug. Just a thought.

Return to “Ignition”