Original ignition coil tar

All ignition related articles
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Original ignition coil tar

Post by 1950Panhead »

Source needed for drill bit with center hole.
I need a drill bit with center hole to remove tar from original coil, centering on brass pin.
Covered previously, cannot find drill bit or post.
Jerry
Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Re: Original ignition coil tar

Post by Scrap »

Are you just trying to replace the high tension wires and the "tar" has closed up? Someone on this site told me to heat the coil by leaving it hooked up to fully charged battery and stick a large soda straw in the now softened tar. I didn't have a good battery, so I put the coil in a pan of 190 degree water for a few minutes, slowly inserted the straw, quickly removed it and then pushed in the wires till they bottomed out. I used old style stranded copper plug wire that has very stiff insulation and it went in pretty smoothly. I am getting a very strong spark.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

A heat lamp is safer than hooking up to a battery.
Soda straw worked for me!

....Cotten
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

For cleaning out holes I use an old auto antenna section with saw teeth filed on the bottom. A little motor oil for lube and it makes a nice clean hole. I don't heat it when cleaning to keep the soft tar from slumping into the holes. I heat to remove the old wires when doing a simple replacement, but if wires have been out for a while and tar is in the holes I use the saw.
Robbie
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Robbie's chunk of old telescopic auto antenna will work just fine. I use a piece of old brake or clutch cable spiral. Peel or wire brush the fabric from the outside and file the "business" end to a chisel point (guess what the black stuff is on the end of the spiral?). It works very much like a drill bit because of the spiral wind, you can gently clamp a small vice-grip to the outboard end and turn it in, and use a small piece of welding rod to poke the tar out of the spiral when it loads up. Of course the hair drier heat is also an important part of the process.

good luck and be careful digging in to it, there is a brass floor plate at the bottom with a center point on it, don't catch that with your tool and twist it out with the broken off plug wire. And both holes will NOT be the same depth, one is shallow and one is deep.
mike
Attachments
tools for cleaning old plug wires from OEM coil
tools for cleaning old plug wires from OEM coil
Tar Tools.jpg (209.27 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

FlatHeadSix wrote:Robbie's chunk of old telescopic auto antenna will work just fine. I use a piece of old brake or clutch cable spiral. Peel or wire brush the fabric from the outside and file the "business" end to a chisel point (guess what the black stuff is on the end of the spiral?). It works very much like a drill bit because of the spiral wind, you can gently clamp a small vice-grip to the outboard end and turn it in, and use a small piece of welding rod to poke the tar out of the spiral when it loads up. Of course the hair drier heat is also an important part of the process.

good luck and be careful digging in to it, there is a brass floor plate at the bottom with a center point on it, don't catch that with your tool and twist it out with the broken off plug wire. And both holes will NOT be the same depth, one is shallow and one is deep.
mike
Don't do this more than 500 times on the same coil or you may remove all the tar.

Return to “Ignition”