dual coil setup and regulator mounting.

All ignition related articles
63 Duo

dual coil setup and regulator mounting.

Post by 63 Duo »

My bike used to have a auto advance single coil setup from the previous owner . It was originally a Handshift police bike and was using the Delco Remy regulator that is not square but is bigger and longer at one dimension. Now i ve got everything setting up for the original dual coil setup and wondering:
If i put the dual coils and chrome cover at the left side (where the previous owner had the single coil and the big regulator) where do i put the regulator? I do have one "L" shaped bracket to mount the regulator at the right side that mounts to the rear two bolts of the rear cylinder, but i ve only seen the small suare regulators mounted there. What is correct?
Thanks and sorry for the high flow of questions...

Post by Guest »

63 DUO -

I have a 63 FL Police that is pretty stock and my regulator (the larger type as you described) is mounted on top of the dual coil set-up on a sideways "H" shaped rubber isolated bracket.
You might also look a Palmers book on page 381 for more info.

Post your email and I will send some photos if would like.

Good Luck

Dale...63 KCPD
63 Duo
Bikes: 1963 Duo Glide

Post by 63 Duo »

I do have the H shaped rubber mounted bracket and i know it can fiton the outside of the dual coils . The thing is that probably the chrome coil cover will not fit ( and probably did not existed on this setup) over the dual coils right?
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

if it were my bike i would put that big ugly 3 unit regulator right over the coils just to make the younger crowd wonder what it was!

-or- i suppose you could find a chrome cover for the regulator if shiney is what you want!

:D :D

john
63 Duo

Post by 63 Duo »

Actually , it is not shiny what i want . I just want to know how it was supposed to be originally and then decide. This bike once belonged to Greek police . These bikes had the three unit regulators but not the fan cooled generators
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

do you have a model 32ER generator?

if i remember correctly they are a bit longer than a regular model 32 to account for the larger windings and armature.

your other option is to find a mount for the right side that goes on the back two motor mount bolts. then you could use a delco 2 unit regulator. this is what i use, as i have converted from 3 brush to 2 brush. it is a reasonably dependable setup that only requires minimal maintinence.

bruce palmers book "how to restore your harley davidson" has some excellent pictures of both set ups.

john
john HD

Post by john HD »

duh

on edit, i see you already have the mount!

i think you could go either way and still be "correct".

check bruce's book.

john
63 Duo

Post by 63 Duo »

Thanks I ve got the right mount too and i ve seen 3 unit regulators hanging there too.
Thanks

Return to “Ignition”