Distributor lobes

All ignition related articles
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Distributor lobes

Post by panfreak »

Description: Problem is my lobe timing mark is nowhere near where the cam follower is sitting on the lobe.

Swapping my auto for a manual advance. Got my light rigged up for timing, found the mark on flywheel no problem. Compression stroke, mark in center of hole. Problem is my lobe timing mark is nowhere near where the cam follower is sitting on the lobe. Maybe I am over thinking this, but I am confused on big and small lobes, they both look the same to me. The lobe with the timing mark I would say is the small, correct? Then this would be for the rear? My shop manual says to adjust to timing mark on lobe but when rotated to this position my flywheel marks are no where to be seen.
I'm sure I was careful when pulling old distributor out, I might be one tooth out either way, but when I read the manual it seems I am way the fuck off. Before I do something to really lose my spot, will someone please help me understand the distributor cam lobes and timing mark? Sorry to beat a dead horse on the timing issue, but I have searched all topics and am still confused.
sleeper

Re: Distributor lobes

Post by sleeper »

panfreak-

Unless you have "Dual points" then the marked lobe is the small one, for the front cylinder. This is the one to align for timing.....
You should be on the Comp. stroke for the front cylinder
This is right after the front intake valve closes. Then your mark will be coming into the timing window.
The bigger lobe is for the rear.
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

Maybe I just needed to sleep on it.

Lifted push rod tubes, gave my eight year old a stool and showed him how to turn the motor over with my big wrench on the sprocket nut. I watched the pushrods from distributor side, and when front intake was closed, I did as you said and went around to his side and slowly turned it over to see the slash mark. Wouldn't you know it, I was almost bang on the lobe mark! Sure helps to have someone else turning over the motor. I guess last night I was one revolution off. I can't be the first one to do that...

BTW, that 12v bulb trick works great to adjust points opening at full advance, now I have one more homemade thingamajig that makes me feel like I almost know what I'm doing (thanks to all of you who have offered insight)

Chewy.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

panfreak-

That's why I mentioned to check the fr intake closing.
You're in the game now.!!!
Home-made Tools are very important. (& usually have a cool story behind them) I paint mine RED as I do all my standard inch tools..
BLUE is for ALL the metric. Makes finding what I want a lot easier.
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

Thanks again Billy, I wish I had worked this hard in school, man I'm learning a lot. I also like being able to involve the kids. I have two boys, the oldest (12) is showing a little interest and will help if there's something he can do. When I tuck him in at night he says I always smell like grease/ oil. If I kick the bucket tommorrow I would be happy to be remembered working on my bike and smelling like oil.

Return to “Ignition”