Exhaust Covers

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
hibuck1
Bikes: 55 pan

Exhaust Covers

Post by hibuck1 »

were the original covers {slinky's} for the exhaust stainless or just steel chromed ? were is the best to get the right length ? and best ones ? I have seen them listed 11" 12" and 13"
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Re: Exhaust Covers

Post by Robert Luland »

Come on Rob, I want to know the answer to this one to.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The pipe covers are chrome and are touted as such in all the accessory catalogs where they appear. As far as length goes there are many different ones as each model had its own sizes. There were kits from '39 for 45s Big Flatheads, Servi-Cars, Knuckleheads, and in '48 a new kit was added for Panheads. They were available all through the generator Shovelhead series bikes as well. I don't know the exact length for all the different applications. The Pan were shorter than Knuckle and UL/ULH were shorter yet. The front pipe and rear pipe are different. They should be long enough to fill the space in a relaxed state, not compressed or extended so that they don't collapse on themselves. The front one ends at the clamp unless you have a sidecar in which case it ends at the front support rod. Get the longest one and trim them to fit! I used to buy generic flex exhaust from the auto parts store, make them and then get them chromed. If you chrome some DO NOT let the chrome shop use the copper coat or polish them as the originals were not highly polished and the copper will make them turn blue!
I never bothered to keep track of lengths because I really never gave it much thought!
Robbie
rmcrh
Bikes: 86 FXRP Sidecar
76 BMW R90S
65 HD FLH
49 Whizzer
48 Chief Goulding Rocket Sidecar
46 HD UL
32 HD V

Post by rmcrh »

What about 65 with duals? Does the rear have ?
UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Post by UPSROD »

No.

Return to “Exhaust”