Superior exhaust systems

Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Panshovevo
Inactive member
Bikes: '50 F model, '76FX/L, '96 96" FXDWG

Superior exhaust systems

Post by Panshovevo »

Has anyone tried installing one of the NOS Superior exhaust systems for pans that have been on Ebay recently?
I just finished one, and spent the better part of two days cutting, grinding, fitting, welding, etc. Just wondered if my experience was unique, or if they are all like that.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Re: Superior exhaust systems

Post by Robert Luland »

Yep, that just about the proper amount of time. Did you count the cursing time?
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

good one bob!

i have found nos real harley parts easier to install. however, they still need some amount of "fitting" to get to work properly.

john
Panshovevo
Inactive member

Post by Panshovevo »

It might have been easier if I had ever installed an OEM system, but this is my first pan, and it came with drag pipes, 8" over front end, K/Q seat, high sissy bar, etc. It also came with lots of rust, corrosion, and years of accumulated dirt and grease at no extra charge.
At least the motor and tranny were relatively fresh, and many of the important original pieces were there.
My original intent, after buying it last year, was to tear it down, and do a complete repop/resto. Well, shortly after it came apart, along came the shovel, priced at just about what I had set aside to redo the pan. Logic and common sense told me to focus on the pan, and ignore the shovel, so of course, I bought the shovel.
Then I had two projects, and no cash to work on either of them... it made sense at the time.
About two and a half months ago, still short on cash, I got tired of looking at a pile of parts, and started cleaning, grit blasting, bead blasting, painting, and otherwise salvaging what I had planned on throwing away. The fork tubes were cut down and rethreaded.
It's back on the road, and being modified toward the original style as time and finances permit.
chopped850
Bikes: 1962 FL

Post by chopped850 »

I put the superior system on that I bought off fleabay. For me it was too quiet and the bike did not like riding on the freeway. Today I put the drags back on and will keep them on. The bike just runs and rides so much better with the drags over the 2 into 1. I didn't have to do that much to make it fit. I also knocked the plate out of the muffler.
steinauge
Inactive member
Bikes: 1938U,1949FL,1961FL,1968XL,1979FL ,1958 FL, 1965 BMW,1975 Honda CB750

Post by steinauge »

I have never seen a stock pan that wouldnt run well with the 2into1 system. I also knew Jim from superior many years ago and NEVER saw any of that junk that fit properly!
Panshovevo
Inactive member

Post by Panshovevo »

chopped850 wrote:I put the superior system on that I bought off fleabay. For me it was too quiet and the bike did not like riding on the freeway. Today I put the drags back on and will keep them on. The bike just runs and rides so much better with the drags over the 2 into 1. I didn't have to do that much to make it fit. I also knocked the plate out of the muffler.
What carb are you running, and did you re-jet when you installed the 2 into one?
I agree, mine ran better with the drags, but I'm running an S&S Super E with a Harley "high lift" cam. The carb will eventually be replaced with a Linkert.

I haven't redone the jetting yet, but in the few miles I've ridden, I've noticed a loss of mid-range and top end power, and it seems to run hotter.

I had to shorten the rear header pipe, move the S pipe mounting bracket closer to the pipe, and alter the angle of the Y pipe. It sounds fairly simple, and would be if I did it again, but it was all done incrementally, with lots of assembly/disassembly to check the fit. In other words, all of the steps were done numerous times.

I was running shotgun drags, which made mounting saddlebags a problem. I may pick up another set with an over the tranny rear pipe, if re-jetting doesn't help the performance and cooling.
chopped850
Bikes: 1962 FL

Post by chopped850 »

Panshovevo wrote:
chopped850 wrote:I put the superior system on that I bought off fleabay. For me it was too quiet and the bike did not like riding on the freeway. Today I put the drags back on and will keep them on. The bike just runs and rides so much better with the drags over the 2 into 1. I didn't have to do that much to make it fit. I also knocked the plate out of the muffler.
What carb are you running, and did you re-jet when you installed the 2 into one?
I agree, mine ran better with the drags, but I'm running an S&S Super E with a Harley "high lift" cam. The carb will eventually be replaced with a Linkert.

I haven't redone the jetting yet, but in the few miles I've ridden, I've noticed a loss of mid-range and top end power, and it seems to run hotter.

I had to shorten the rear header pipe, move the S pipe mounting bracket closer to the pipe, and alter the angle of the Y pipe. It sounds fairly simple, and would be if I did it again, but it was all done incrementally, with lots of assembly/disassembly to check the fit. In other words, all of the steps were done numerous times.

I was running shotgun drags, which made mounting saddlebags a problem. I may pick up another set with an over the tranny rear pipe, if re-jetting doesn't help the performance and cooling.
I only had to drop the intermediate from a .295 to a 28 and I'm runnin an "E". I too noticed the lack of mid and top end with the 2 into 1. I don't know what cam is in the bike but I'm pretty sure it's close to stock. I plan on throwing a "B" grind in there down the road with new tappets and pushrods. But that will be with a full rebuild. Right now I'm just gonna keep running it the way it is and I ride it pretty hard. I only had to cut about half an inch off the front pipe, cut the squish pipe mounting tab off and later relocate it more to the right of where it's originally installed.

Return to “Exhaust”